Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

Idiot locked keys inside Allante any ideas?

Old 05-11-2018, 10:26 AM
Default Idiot locked keys inside Allante any ideas?

Irony - I went to the hardware store for a spare ignition key - had to get the blanks on line - they cut the ignition key, it didn't work - I took the ignition key off the key ring, plopped the key ring into the ashtray - went back in with the loose ignition key and asked them to cut another blank with the ignition key off the key ring - that didn't work either - drove home, grabbed the key out of the ignition, locked the driver's door and closed it - passenger door was already locked - of course the spare door key is on the key ring with other door key - the only saving grace, maybe, is passenger window is down an inch an a half - power windows don't work on that side.

The top is darn near mint, hate to cut it - would rather break a window, prefer to do neither - of course I could sell it as is, sitting in the driveway - winch it up on a flat bed and take it away - seems like I am not meant to have an Allante - don't have the discipline to do proper key management on them - I have 3 sets each for the Eldo and the STS .....

aaaarrghhhhhhhhhh

Old 06-07-2019, 05:56 PM
Default How Much?

Originally Posted by 87allante
Irony - I went to the hardware store for a spare ignition key - had to get the blanks on line - they cut the ignition key, it didn't work - I took the ignition key off the key ring, plopped the key ring into the ashtray - went back in with the loose ignition key and asked them to cut another blank with the ignition key off the key ring - that didn't work either - drove home, grabbed the key out of the ignition, locked the driver's door and closed it - passenger door was already locked - of course the spare door key is on the key ring with other door key - the only saving grace, maybe, is passenger window is down an inch an a half - power windows don't work on that side.

The top is darn near mint, hate to cut it - would rather break a window, prefer to do neither - of course I could sell it as is, sitting in the driveway - winch it up on a flat bed and take it away - seems like I am not meant to have an Allante - don't have the discipline to do proper key management on them - I have 3 sets each for the Eldo and the STS .....

aaaarrghhhhhhhhhh
How much to haul away and where are you located? Or you could just spend about $100 and call a locksmith. Key has a resister in it (like a chip but cheaper) so key won't start car without it.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by jescocom
How much to haul away and where are you located? Or you could just spend about $100 and call a locksmith. Key has a resister in it (like a chip but cheaper) so key won't start car without it.
There was no chip in the key - nor in the key for the 87 I have now - I do have a chip key in one of my Eldos but have installed the resistor bypass in the harness under the lower steering column so no worries if I lose that one .

I got pissed off, sold the damn thing as is for $1850, which was more than the sum of what I paid and the parts that I had in it -

the very BEST part of the story is not week after I sold the thing I found a set of spare keys in the house

gotta love these Allantes - I am SO sorry I still own one - never again an 87 - under-powered, leaky, I woulda been SO pissed had I bought one new for the kind of money they sold for

I have one left, nice top, with hardtop, would be tickled pink to get 1800 out of it - registered and one the road, new struts, shocks, battery, caliper and more - i found an 82 Seville I want but can't until I clear a spot in the driveway that is currently taken up by the Allante

thanks though for the advice

Art