Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

Door Panels

Old 02-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Default Door Panels

Between the Armrests and the top portion of the door panels there are bubbles where the material is pulling away from the hard backing. Is there an "easy fix" for this that I can do myself, or is it a trim shop job? Mine is a 1988 Allante

Old 02-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Default RE: Door Panels

Got to tell you Yogi, after five years of monitoring Allante "nets" this is the first time I have heard of this problem. The cowl covering yes but your's is a first. There are many posts in the FAQ on removing the door panels which isn't that difficult and I expect it would not be all that difficult with putting the panel on a workbench and carefully removing the complete cover and re-cementing the whole thing. I would only do this after just finding the cost at an auto upholstery shop. They seem to be installing complete leather upholstery kits on new cars and not that all expensively. This might just be a very simple job for them especially if you just bring them the panels.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Tech Certified Members

I have fixed some panels like that on other cars, got a kitchen syringe for marinating meats, loaded it with gel super glue and "injected" gel into bubbles, pressing the material down as I went.

Loading the syringe is easy .. using the needle, stick it into the GEL SuperGlue tube and suck it out.

Make sure you have some cleaning solvent to wipe off whatever comes out form the puncture at pressing it.

Worked pretty good.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:10 AM

Hyperion and Stomper, I was thinking syringes and needles filled with some type of adhesive. I was thinking also heat gun to perhaps stretch and re-activate theadhesive.But my history tells me stretching, yes, re-activating no. : (

These bubbles are more like where the material has pulled away - verus bubbled...

I want to avoid removing the door panels if at all possible. It appears that neither door Panel has been off, and as mentioned, I would like to avoid.