Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

$3900 or good offer buys 2 running 87 Allantes

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 09:28 AM
Default $3900 or good offer buys 2 running 87 Allantes

I have 2 Allantes in which I have lost interest. The first is a 1987 gold, 73K miles, soft top only, small tape patches in 2 spots. Registered and inspected 10/17, off road for the winter. The bad: typical ABS problems; radio apart; throws cooling fan error even though I put 3000 miles on it in the fall with no overheating or coolant loss; the cat rattles but does not appear to leak, and again, car passed legit NYS inspection; each seat has a split seam; a few of the seat switches don't work right; PS pump noisy but working; battery dead; interior fair to ok at best; sun visors missing.

The good: runs and starts well, stops every time no problems despite absence of ABS functions; decent tread on the tires, new front caliper that I had installed, previous owner says he had pads and rotors changed 2017 (unverified); heater works well; tranny good, handles nicely; pull down motor works relatively well. Can be put on road and driven immediately.

The second is a 1987 maroon, 123K miles, with excellent looking soft top and a hard top as well. The bad: ignition switch flaky (steering wheel needs to be at top position to start, lowered to middle position to turn off and remove key (and what a pain in the *** that was to discover); pull down motor missing (latch mounted on piece of wood, holds the hard and soft tops down on, a real Primitive Pete fix that I did NOT do ; most seat switches at least partially defective; right side window goes neither up nor down (currently up to within around 1.5 inches of the top); missing rear view mirror (easy cheap fix with generic sitck on mount; sun visors flop around; power antenna missing (it is in the gold one, and works).

The good: tires excellent, supposedly new spring of 2017; NO ABS errors; all monitored systems check ok; runs well, handles well, registered and on the road in NY, inspection scheduled 5/7 with no problems anticipated. Interior very nice. Has the little covers for the spaces in front of the soft top when it is down; overall a decent drivable car as it sits. Radio worked before I pulled the antenna to put in the gold one.

Bonuses:
original factory service manual
original factory service supplement devoted to ABS diagnosis and repair (over 125 pages)
2 owner's manuals - fair to halfway decent condition
Special GM tools for steering wheel removal
Special GM tools and fixtures for ABS testing
Special GM test instrument for ABS testing
Breakout box to attach diagnostic equipment to ABS connector
Spare wiper motor, Allante Source rebuild, purchased but never installed in gold one (wipers work but squirter and intermittent cycling do not)
Spare untested center DIC/Climate/radio unit, untested
Used visors in the trunk of the gold one, condition unknown.

I have lost interest in these, and, like the crow flying high overhead, a new and better shiny object has caught my eye (nice blue XLR down in Jersey).I am open to reasonable offers, I don’t get offended by low ball offers as long as the offering party does not get offended by my reply 😊 Seriously – buy these cars, make them nice again. Thanks for reading.