'96 fleetwood limo Emblem and center rest

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 12:09 AM
Default '96 fleetwood limo Emblem and center rest

The front center arm rests on 1996 Cads are very interesting. They are a additional glove box for tapes and cd's and anything else you might want to store.
They were not made out of the most durable materials. The hinge that allows the lid to raise up and down is spring loaded and puts alot of pressure on a weak
plastic frame that is foam filled and fabric covered. The frame where screws anchor hinge to lid crack and eventually crumble.
I carefully removed some of the foam filling around plastic anchor on one side. The anchor is actually longer than the screws that are used. I put a dummy screw in anchor and filled area with JB weld quick type. It took 4 mixings and between each one I let it set up just enough before screw got stuck and removed screw .
After is was near top I let it all set up over night, cleaned up hole a bit and used in each anchor a screw that was about 1/8 to 3/16 longer than original.
I left the base or box side with original screws and so far much stronger.
Also right after I fixed armrest I was washing car and the Wreath emblem around trunk lock fell off. I bought 3M emblem glue and carefully with a razor cut a approx 3/32 to 1/8 channel around the wreath double sided tape. That way the wreath still has the original double sided adhesive foam as a gasket but the center of the foam is hollow. I then carefully filled the center with 3M emblem sealer and just enough to rise above the old adhesive. I applied to trunk and held in place with blue paint tape overnight. Again so far it looks good, emblem tight Note 3M adhesive looks runny but it is gel enough to keep from dripping