Cadillac Escalade The full sized sport utility vehicle that has combined the versatility of an SUV with the luxury associated with the Cadillac name

Escalade bent frame

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Unhappy Escalade bent frame

Hi Community, I have an 2008 Escalade ESV that was in a major front end accident. When opened, the glove box door scrapes against the passenger door. The rear hatch is out of alignment.

The ESV was pushed back 4 feet while it was in park. All the impact was head on, at the front left of the vehicle. [The drivers side]

There is only minor cosmetic damage, $2000. The oncoming car wedged under the ESV, and then popped out after impact. I'm very concerned that the frame is bent and that the AWD transmission is damaged too.

What's the best way to find a capable repair shop that can properly diagnose how bad the damage is? Should I go to a GM shop?

I live in the Boston area.

Tx,
Steve

Old 04-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Certified Members

Talk to people you work with, someone always someone who crashed. Ins. Co. many have lifetime repair warrantys. BBB. GM dealers aren't bad choices, but the rep of the shop is what counts. BTW cosmetic damage normally means no frame damage, just sheet metal. (body panels)

Old 04-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Certified Members

while you are at it, and while the accident is still covered by the insurance of the fault-driver, have the transmission checked well. its probably OK but best to make sure. the undercarriage for sure should be inspected.

the fact that the car wedged under your car, lifting yours, is probably a good thing since that absorbed the energy into crushing the other car and not from damaging yours severely.

as slowroll said, a good rep is quite important.
in my town Cadillac uses a independent shop for their collision work, but it is the Cadillac rep that orders the work, inspects the final work, and guarantees the work, and then stands by the work done. have never heard of any customer issues there.
In the same subject, Ford has a huge ultra-modern collision center, and their reputation for quality work on Fords is 2nd to none.
these folks even manage the insurance reps and make sure your car gets the best parts, and quality work .. they do not compromise even with the insurance Co. i had one uncooperative ins Co. that refused to OK the proper work. in frustration, and I called the Ford collision center .. within the hour, to my surprise, sent a tow truck, took the car off the insurance managed shop, contacted the ins rep and did the work by the book. any hassle to me? none .. they did it all, while the insurance rep danced and jumped in disagreement. difference in cost? ohhh yeahhh .. $1600 with the insurance shop, $3400 at the Ford collision center. they paid, i got new parts and flawless work. they even did a few extra things (dings and paint touch up) that made the car look better, to match the work they did.

Last edited by stomper; 04-08-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by slowroll
Talk to people you work with, someone always someone who crashed. Ins. Co. many have lifetime repair warrantys. BBB. GM dealers aren't bad choices, but the rep of the shop is what counts. BTW cosmetic damage normally means no frame damage, just sheet metal. (body panels)
Good advise, many good body shops have laser frame checking equipment making for a good repair.