Cadillac Escalade The full sized sport utility vehicle that has combined the versatility of an SUV with the luxury associated with the Cadillac name

04 EXT problems; knocking, steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Default 04 EXT problems; knocking, steering

Hey guys, Man I may have gotten in over my head and most of you probably are thinking WTF. Ok so I wanted a badass upscale sporttruck, i bought an 04 EXT. I proceeding to spend alot of money for bolt ons and achieved around 400hp. So now I am having troubles. I have a cold air intake and a BBk throttle body and now I am having knocking, which is more like burping in idle. I put in new spark plugs and wires and every fuel injector cleaner they make( I prefer Lucas). So is it possible the OEM MAF is not able to compute the new are ratios the bigger intake is making or do I need to coils?
OK #2 question. When I make turns the suspension feels rough I can hear a knocking noise and I can feel the bumps through the steering wheel actually like the steering column is loose or rattling, but upon inspection its tight, and itdoesnt do it whendriving straight.Also plenty of fluid in the reserviour. Any ideas? Thanks guys

Old 02-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 04 EXT problems; knocking, steering

Q2 likely intermediate steering shaft.

Q1 ecm calibration possilby, suggest have someone local familiar with your mods help you out. Chevy sites may also be helpful, but I believe you need someone with scanner to sort it out.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:59 PM

Thanks, Im going to take a look under the hood this weekend, see if there is something i missed that might be loose. thanks again.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Tech Certified Members

Intermediate shaft will be fimly attached, but slip joint in shaft will cause noise and knocking in steering wheel. If mileage is low maybe be able to get covered under warranty.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:18 PM

SlowRoll, ive been doing some research, for money sake i was thinking about cleaning the filament and connection on my MAF to see if its dirty ( I did remove the screen for less restriction), one post I saw said to disconnect the MAF sensor and drive around for no more than a half hour to see if you have the same sluggish idle problems to see if its actually the MAF. Do u see a problem with this? currently there are the CEL's displayed.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:21 PM

PS, after some more investigating, GM apparently got the int. steering shaft all wrong, and a short fix was extra lube, It seems Dorman now has an int. steering shaft with D knuckles (part # 425-176) that eliminates the problem, If its not covered under warranty I can pick the part up for about 50 dollars, thanks for the help!