Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

starting diabled, theft mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Default starting diabled, theft mode

i have a 1992 eldorado, with a 4.9. my firned not only lost me set of keys but also my spare set. i went to the dealer and had them make me a new set of keys.. they didint work. i went back and had another set made.. they also didnt work. i replaced the ignition and got a new set made by a locksmith to fit the new ignition.

i drained my battery today. i jumped the car and instead of starting it comes up on the dash that the startign is disabled due to a theftt secuiry. wait 3 minutes.
i wait three min and still wont start. i kept trying and trying and finally it started up. i drove around for a while to charge the battery. came home turned the car off and imediatly tryed starting it again.. same thing happened!!! starting disabled. wait three minutes.

now if i try starting it.. wait three min it will start.

why does it keep saying the start is diables theft mode is on. wait three min. how can i fix it?

Old 09-28-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Certified Members

im thinking you need to have dealer program your key (s) to the car.
ask the dude that made your key if that would be the case.

rickyd

Old 09-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Tech Certified Members

The pellet in the key has to be read by theft deterent module if key is close but not what it supposed to be this concern can occur as well as a faulty ignition cylinder/wiring. You may want to talk locksmith since you already paid him to solve your problem. Dealer can not "program" VATS / pellet keys. VATS works of the resistance value of pellet as interpreted by VATS module. VATS module is not reprogrammable once "burnt in" it can't be changed.