Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

the plot thickens on the disapearing dash display

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Default RE: the plot thickens on the disapearing dash display

Hello All,
Well, sat morning I went about checking evry ground and connector I could find and get to. All looks nice and clean and tight, I really was hoping I could get at the one that plugs into the back of the instrument panel, but there was no way I could squeeze my hand up in there.
Anyway, had to take a ride sat afternoon to deliver a commission work I had completed and on starting the Eldo, I had full display. The trip was roughly 75 miles each way, and the display was there just about the whole trip, including a couple stops where the car was turned off. It went out about two miles from home. Sunday morning I went out and just turned the key to "on" and the display was there. I checked the codes and they read the same as the last time with the "I039 being the only current one. I thought I would try clearing them all and starting over but couldnt get to the "clear codes" display. I went back to the beginning six times to try to get it to come up, according to the directions I found here on the forum and the closest I got was the "ECM?"
Then, I lost the display again. As on Sunday night when I left for work at 9:30, there was still no display.
When I got to work and went to turn the car off, I thought I noticed the fuel gage jump as I was turning the key. I turned it back to "on" very slowly, and for just a split second it seemed to want to work. I'll see if I can get to the connector for the ig switch tomorrow, perhaps there is something there.
Blackoak

Old 10-01-2008, 01:37 AM

Hello All,
Well, I checked out the connector for the ign. switch and all looked good there. I did notice a couple new developments though. When I lose the display, usually, the fuel gage will drop to just above empty, the speedo will bounce between 5-7 mph , and the tach will read 500-850 rpm. Tonight on the way into work, I lost the display after about 8 mi. but this time I still had a functioning tach and the fuel gage was pegged below empty, and the speedo was as low as it could get. I had read in one of the threads here about a guy that was having all kinds of display problems and eventually ended up replacing one of the boards inside the cluster, and that corrected the problem. That was on a newer (96 I think) deville. Does anyone here know if my 92 Eldo has that same setup. I dont find anything on the wiring diagram refering to solid state boards inside the inst. cluster. This problem is similar to problems we would get on generators I repaired when I was in the service. One component would get warm on one of the printed circut boards and quit conducting. Once cooled down, it would funtion normally. Any suggestions?
Blakoak

Old 10-28-2008, 10:48 PM

Stomper-
Tonight on the way into work, I lost the display, as usual, so Igave it a good rap on the right side, and, viola! the display came back on! does this sound like maybe the connector on the top of the cluster may need some attention? or more like a bad cluster?(I have purchased a used, known to be good cluster, in the event I need to change this one out)

Old 10-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Certified Members

is there a RIM on that car??? rear integration module....... if so see if you can find another and exchange to see if thats the problem. just a thought
rickyd