Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

the plot thickens on the disapearing dash display

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 12:52 AM
Default the plot thickens on the disapearing dash display

Hello All,
Well, there is a new turn of events on my disapearing display on my 92 ElDo. Tonight when I started the car to leave for work, I had the "no digital display,no speedo, no fuel gage, no radio" symdrom. It was all there when I shut the car down this a.m. The big change was that this time, I did have a working tach!!!The 42 mile ride into work brought no change in getting the display back. As I turned off the ignition at work, guess what........I had the radio display come on! Turning the key back to the on position I had the full display, with fuel gage. It there anyone here that has experienced a problem like this? I'm beginning to think in the direction of the modual for these displays and analog gages.

Blakoak

Old 09-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: the plot thickens on the disapearing dash display

I believe up to 92 Cadillac still used the CPS (central power supply) module in the Eldo to illuminate the gauges. If so, Replace the CPS if the wiring connector to it proves to be good.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

You may find the thread on e-ghosts valuable.
Its in our FAQ section.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:42 AM

Thanks Carnut and Stealth,
I just got a full wiring diagram and will be trying to track this inconvienience down. Not that it makes any difference, but when I pulled the codes on the dash (when it had display) at the end of the trouble codes I got the code............ECM?. Any ideas what this pertains to?
Thanks,
Blakoak

Old 09-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: blakoak

Thanks Carnut and Stealth,
I just got a full wiring diagram and will be trying to track this inconvienience down. Not that it makes any difference, but when I pulled the codes on the dash (when it had display) at the end of the trouble codes I got the code............ECM?. Any ideas what this pertains to?
Thanks,
Blakoak
is my monitor doing tricks on me?
I am used to seeing a number for the code and i dont see one there.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:03 PM

Your monitor is fine, Stealth. I was finally able to get the display to come back on and pulled the codes again. There were 9 in history (e047,e052,e091,i052,a037,a046,r026,r033,and r061) and one in current (i039). After the display flashed all the codes, it displays "ECM?". Tonight, the display lasted about four miles and went out for the remainder of my 42 mile trip into work. This afternoon I removed and cleaned the ground on the drivers kick panel, which was clean and shiny, and checked the connector under the dash, which was clean and tight.

Blakoak

Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Tech Certified Members

if you tap it anything comes on ?

at this point, the cluster unit is certainly a suspect.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:18 AM

no change with tapping, thumping,slapping, or banging.........swearing at it doesnt seem to work either!!

Old 09-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Certified Members

ECM? only means that its asking you if you want to display ECM parameters. If you hit hi fan you are saying yes. If you hit low fan you are saying no.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:46 AM

Thanks carnut. Well, this weekend I'm going to do a full inspection of the wiring harness and connectors. Hopefully, something will turn up there to correct this problem.

Quick Reply: the plot thickens on the disapearing dash display