Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

Performance Muffler 98 eldo

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Default Performance Muffler 98 eldo

I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent muffler to add to the 98 eldorado which will enhance the sound without an overpowering drone? Not an entire exhaust system just replacement mufflers to bring out the V8 sound. Any ideas?

Old 12-25-2008, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Performance Muffler 98 eldo

This might sound right off the wall but with two catalytic converters and two mufflers you have a lot of backpressure and quiet sound. Why not take off the mufflers and run either a cherry bomb muffler or straight pipe. The cataltic converters will offer enough sound deadening I believe. You will get a nice deep rumble and greatly reduced backpressure.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:30 AM

a cherry bomb on a cadillac? That's absurd!!

I could go on a 5 page rant on the topic, but I'm sure you really don't care.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Go on your rant, I'm in my 50's I would never drive my Cadillac's with even a pinhole in the muffler.

Longhorn asked a legitimate question about getting a cool V8 sound and got a legitimate answer, the fact is a with dual cats he doesn't need any muffler to get the sound he wants, it has nothing to do with what you think or want or want to rant about.

Everyone drives a Cadillac for their own reason, I'm not much to say look how cool that Caddy looks with 22's but every time I take my old Fleetwood out some young guy will stop me and say just that, to each his own.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

did you know that Allantes have a pretty healthy sound? They let everyone know they hold a serious V8 without sending shock waves.

I do touch the cherry bombs every time i visit the parts hours .. they are .. soooo .. inviting.

ohhh .. one more suggestion .. Flowmasters .. I got those for the 5.0 Beast and she sounds like a Ferrari with the typical roar at around 3,000 rpms .. I see that lots of Vettes also get these.

lastly .. BORLAs

there you have it .. four suggestions:
- cherry bombs,
- flowmasters,
- Allante OEM mufflers (4500 engine series, 89 to 92).
- Borla

but ...

where do you live? the EPA and the State Emissions Board may have a different opinion.
Check the rules before you dish out the cash or modify the exhaust system.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: musique

a cherry bomb on a Cadillac? That s absurd!!

I could go on a 5 page rant on the topic, but Im sure you really dont care.

1990 Cadillac Seville
1997 Cadillac Eldorado (traded)
2000 Cadillac Deville
1979 Z28 Camaro
well, its always healthy to explore ideas, no?

BTW, what are you running on the Z28? can you post a pic? its one of my favorite cars of the 70s.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:10 PM

Dynomax

I have pictures but they're poor quality, and the car is in storage...it's black with orange emblems

Old 01-04-2009, 11:30 AM

Stealth,

So you're saying that adding a muffler from the old Cadillac Allante will add some sound to the 98 Eldo? We just got the car about a month ago and although there have been some Caddy's in the family I can't say I'm all too familiar with the exhaust system, at least not yet. Correct me if I'm wrong but are you implying that a muffler off the Allante will match right up to the Eldo exhaust system? Thanks

Old 01-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: LongHorn2485

Stealth,

So you're saying that adding a muffler from the old Cadillac Allante will add some sound to the 98 Eldo? We just got the car about a month ago and although there have been some Caddy's in the family I can't say I'm all too familiar with the exhaust system, at least not yet. Correct me if I'm wrong but are you implying that a muffler off the Allante will match right up to the Eldo exhaust system? Thanks

The Allante IS an ElDorado platform, shortened .. does the muffler fit? It is worth investigating, I cannot say yes. Probably the 1993 Allante is the most likely candidate to fit a 1998 ElDo. Hey, there is a whole thread on a 1993 Allante exhaust by foxpaws .. called something like breath in, breath out ? take a look at it .. I think she even added a sound clip.
https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_11819/tm.htm

Will it sound better? Every Allante has a "good deep" OEM sound, they are not quiet, you know they are coming, but at the same time, they dont growl.

here is another one ...
https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_20524/tm.htm

ORIGINAL: foxpaws

sajobob - I would look at the TransAm/Z28 exhaust - mine is pretty much for a northstar - I doubt if the configuration would work for your header set up -

But, if you need to know... Dynatech PowerCat Catalytic Converter part no. 79-400300 and an Edelbrock Stainless Steel 304 SDT muffler - part no. 55754

Old 01-09-2009, 12:46 AM

i have a 1992 eldorado and recently had a magnaflow exhaust system intalled, it sound awesome,not over powering but a real nice rumble