Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

Noisy Eldorado engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Default Noisy Eldorado engine

I need some help. I have a 98 Eldorado ETC. There is a very loud sound coming from the motor. it's so high pitched it's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from. It sounds like it coming from the area of the power steering pump. the sound is always there except when you hit the gas petal, it stops for a second then it's back. Has anyone had this problem? I don't want to just start replacing parts. please help. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Noisy Eldorado engine

ORIGINAL: jmmitt

I need some help. I have a 98 Eldorado ETC. There is a very loud sound coming from the motor. it's so high pitched it's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from. It sounds like it coming from the area of the power steering pump. the sound is always there except when you hit the gas petal, it stops for a second then it's back. Has anyone had this problem? I don't want to just start replacing parts. please help. Thanks.
is it a steady pitch or a changing pitch?
when at a stop or moving?
dry weather or rain?
when you stop the engine does the pitch stop with it or does it go on for a second or more?

I just got a car fixed that had a "loud pitch", mechanic had told the lady she needed new tires and a power steering pump - about $800 for all.

The car's problem was a vacuum line damaged. Cost to fix? $1.99 for a new line.
Money saved = $798 ... she owes me a nice lunch.
It is important to provide details, really important, but only if $$$ are important to you.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Tech Certified Members

Great diagnosis Stealth, a vac line is very possible, could also be a belt tensioner pulley, if this car has one that is............. Good luck with that.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:44 PM

To answer the high pitch sound is always there but you need to be out side the car to hear it. it only changes for one second when the gas pedal is depressed, it stops for one second then its back. the pitch and sound are the same, with the hood up it is very loud. a mechanic said it might be some kind of value on the intake manifold, but he was just guessing.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: jmmitt

To answer the high pitch sound is always there but you need to be out side the car to hear it. it only changes for one second when the gas pedal is depressed, it stops for one second then its back. the pitch and sound are the same, with the hood up it is very loud. a mechanic said it might be some kind of value on the intake manifold, but he was just guessing.
You mean intake manifold leak ... right?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:03 AM

What he said was it is a plastic part that costs about 60 cents but it will cost a few hundred dollars to install in the intake manifold.