Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

Head gasket repair or reman engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 02:23 PM
Default Head gasket repair or reman engine

Hello after having an over heating issue the shop replaced thermostat and water pump however when doing a coolant flush they neglected to do it properly they used a detergent type additive with no sealer. I drove about 45 miles total had to add coolant stopped driving car had a check up now have 700 hydrocarbons detected. I immediately took car home by tow drained system got as much air out put in 50/50 DEX coolant and distilled water 5 ac delco tabs. I ran car at idle about 8-9 times 40 mins each time with no pressure, closed cap pressure valve opened. Hoping to reseal. My question is if it does not reseal what do i do? If it reseals how long might this be good for? 130k milage. I understand the head bolts are shorter in this engine and possible may strip and have to add helix coli (sp) may or may not last if hg is repaired. all recomendations needed please. Do I put in a reman 97' northstar or is there another northstar with longer head screws that will fit in my 97" or is this a case for blue devil sealant? need options and a place to buy another engine if needed. Do I have this one rebuilt? block and heads not cracked. Thank you all in advance for your input Belle

Old 05-10-2017, 02:12 PM
Tech Certified Members

It is more how much do you want to spend? You won't know for sure what you got until engine is apart. Depending on how hot engine got will determine if block needs "time serts" It is also possible the "time serts' can pull when is reassembled. There are some who "time sert" all northstars when head is removed. There were some modified head bolts or studs not made by GM a few years ago. IDK if they still are. A used guarantied engine could be a cost effective repair; provided engine has at least 3 mo/ 3k mi P&L warranty. Reman will have more warranty, and may also pay labor. With Reman you want a repatable company with minimal BS if repairs are needed during the warranty period. GM and Jasper are easy to deal with. Jasper has a install kit which has hoses and belts, thermostat...etc which reduces breakdown after engine is installed. Reman engine itself doesn't include all the different maintenance items, they would be transferred from old engine. You woulkd also want to adjust your insurance for the several thousands of dollars spent on repairs also if get a loan to pay for repairs have extra money for repairs that maybe required shortly after reman install. It's a 20 year old car ...things happen. You don't want to be broke if you need the brakes fixed, window stops working, etc. Head gasket in a can should be a strictly a fix to trade, buyer beware with private parties can vary from state. So if you choose to go that route you will want as-is wording and witnessed. The rules are different when trading car to a car dealer, there is no expectation car is 100%.