Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

94 Accel. problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 03:38 AM
Default 94 Accel. problems

Ok, I have a '94 Eldorado with 81K miles on it. I have the car for 2 years and never had any major probles besides a defective alternator which fried costing me $800 to replace. Anyhow, the car drives perfectly, but when I merge on a highway on-ramp and give it some gas, the car hesitates and will not pick up any speed or shift down until i just about floor it! At first, I thought I just wasn't giving it enough gas to shift out of overdrive, but it also does the same thing if I step on it hard from a stoplight or stop sign, and when I say "step on it" I dont mean flooring the car which is what I have to do after the fact to get the car to stop choking and shift! If anyone could give me advice as to what might be causing this it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 08-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 94 Accel. problems

Are you fimilar with checking the computer for trouble codes?
Holding down the off and warmer buttons on the climate control.

Does it seem more like the engine has no power or the trans is in too high of a gear?
"stop choking and shift" is it bucking or studering under a load?
Has it ever had a tune-up? plugs and wires?

Old 08-03-2006, 11:47 AM

Yes, I've looked for trouble codes a few times and nothing. It hasn't had a tune-up or new wires considering that it has 81K miles and shouldnt need that until 100K (what I thought). The word you used "stuttering" is exactly on the mark, it's almost like theres no power, it's hard for me to describe.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Start with plugs and wires. Sometimes they make it to 100k, most don't. 80k is pretty darn good IMO.
I wouldn't try and troubleshoot a car that runs rough and hadn't been tuned up in that long.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:11 PM

Can the problem I am having be because of the spark plugs though? How much would you consider a tune-up to cost?

Old 08-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: JoweeCadillac

Can the problem I am having be because of the spark plugs though?
Yes, and/or the wires. it could be alot of things, but this is a good place to start.
How much would you consider a tune-up to cost?
Call whomever you wish to do the service, they should be able to quote it over the phone.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:01 PM

Thank You for your help! I really appreciate it. I would have never thought of a tune-up but now it makes sense![8D]