buy a used dts or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Default buy a used dts or not?

I have been looking for a used mid-size SUV like the Pilot or Highlander. Need to get 3 cars seats in plus tow my motorcycle around for racing, around 1000 pounds total. Not really wanting an SUV but seems to be the only thing to get it done. However, been driving the mother in law's 03 dts around for a few days and I think I like it. It fits 3 car seats, mileage is ok, rides nice, so now I'm thinking about one of these. Anyone ever tow with one? it's not a lot of weight, probably less than 1000 actually. Will the tranny be able to handle it? Are there tranny coolers available?
Are these reliable? Will I regret buying one... should I just go with the highlander? I've been kind of soured on american car reliability. I'm looking to stay less than $10K since I don't want another car payment and all the highlanders/pilots in that range have bookoo miles. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: buy a used dts or not?

I believe the DTS is rated to tow 3,000 lbs, so no problem. I am old now but when the kids were tiny and if they could reach each other in the car that spelled trouble. The thing I liked with the Suburban we had was they could all be in there and not reach each other if you get my drift! A Higlander is different though because it's tiny. You will probably gain luggage capacity by getting a DTS and I agree that the baby seats will easily go in. It will be up to your wife, assuming you are the dad here, to bend around and tend to the little ones while travelling and that might be difficult. Would be somewhat easier in a SUV I think. We never regretted having an SUV, albeit the KING of the SUV's, when the kids were tiny. Having said that never regretted owning a Cadillac Deville either!