2001 Cadillac DTS (Stalling)HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 11:52 PM
Post 2001 Cadillac DTS (Stalling and I've been trying to fix it for 40 days!)HELP!

40 DAYS i've spent 40 days trying to get this car fixed and no one can fix it or tell me whats wrong

Originally Posted by FrankWhite
I Bought a 2001 Cadillac DTS with 130,000 miles on it a week ago, the first few days I had no problems it ran great. Then it began to stall it first did it while I was stopped at a light then it did it while I was coasting. It began to do it more often but only while idling or coasting, so I ran fuel injection thru it twice and made sure I put premium gas in it. That seemed to help for a couple days but then it started stalling again. Now it stalls all the time not just idling or coasting It also began to have problems while i was driving and I would release the gas peddle to slow down around a turn or something like that and then when I press the gas to accelerate it would take a couple seconds before the engine would respond to me pressing the gas peddle and then when it did finally respond it would jerk forward. (I believe it is only doing this because the engine is trying to stall but by me pressing the gas it stops it from stalling)(sometimes). The car always starts back up but i have to give it gas befor it starts back up. I just pop it into neutral and restart it, it always eventually clicks over. I know their are many things that could be causing this but I was wondering if anyone had this problem or has heard of this problem and could help me narrow down what is causing it. It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I've already taken it to many shop's and they cant figure out whats wrong with it.
I even took it to Cadillac and to the local GM dealer and they run diagnostic but the diagnostic test says there is nothing wrong
I've had 3 diagnostic test done and all three of the places(Cadillace, GM and a Local shop) said nothing is wrong

I'v replaced:
Crank Shaft Sensor
The Whole Computer and had it re-flashed
Ran a smoke test to check for leaks(there were none)
Cleaned the throttle body
Completely cleaned out the fuel injector
Replaced the fuel pump
and fuel hoses
PLUS MANY MORE THINGS I CANT THINK OF RIGHT NOW!

40 days of putting up with this!

DTC's

ABS- C1298
DIM- P1521
DIM- P1540
IRC- U1064
PCM- P1106
PCM- U1040

These are the only ones that had codes, The rest of them said " no codes"

Frank - (fnsturgeon@yahoo.com)

Last edited by FrankWhite; 06-16-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Addded the DTS's and Added the work Ive done to the car
Old 05-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Tech Certified Members

Codes?, see FAQ to find out how to access. Crank sensors are a common cause of stalling on 00-03 northstars.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:05 PM

Frank - (fnsturgeon@yahoo.com)[/quote]

I already replaced the crank sensor.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Default Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Hello Frank,

Post the diagnostic trouble codes, DTCs, that can be read on your dashboard after holding down the drivers information info and on buttons down with the ignition on, the car doesn't have to be running. After answering ALL CODES? with the on/off button, you will get a list of codes like this: DDM U1715 Current, IPC U1016 History, PCM P0741 Current. The first three letters represent the module sending the code, the next letter and four numbers are the DTC, followed by a status of either current or history.

At the bare minimum post the DTC and indicate the status.

Go here for more info:
https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3907

Perform this little test to eliminate one possible cause to your problem. Spray a little engine starting fluid underneath the plenum duct between the water crossover and the intake manifold. The plenum duct may form a tear in the bottom which will let in too much air causing the car to go lean and rough idle. If starting fluid causes the idle to raise, there is a tear.

Last edited by 2001_Seville_SLS; 05-14-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:02 AM

I Bought a 2001 Cadillac DTS with 130,000 miles on it a week ago, the first few days I had no problems it ran great. Then it began to stall it first did it while I was stopped at a light then it did it while I was coasting. It began to do it more often but only while idling or coasting, so I ran fuel injection thru it twice and made sure I put premium gas in it. That seemed to help for a couple days but then it started stalling again, it only does it when I am idling or coasting. It also began to have problems while i was driving and I would release the gas peddle to slow down around a turn or something like that and then when I press the gas to accelerate it would take a couple seconds before the engine would respond to me pressing the gas peddle and then when it did finally respond it would jerk forward. (I believe it is only doing this because the engine is trying to stall but by me pressing the gas it stops it from stalling)(sometimes). The car always starts up right away. I have not had any problems with restarting it even while I'm still moving and I just pop it into neutral and restart it, it always clicks right over. I know their are many things that could be causing this but I was wondering if anyone had this problem or has heard of this problem and could help me narrow down what is causing it. It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I've Been trying to fix it for 3 weeks i've even had Caddlilac run diagnostics multiple and they said I've done everything they would of done plus more.

-Replaced the crank shaft Sensor
-The Whole Computer System
-I've Ran a smoke Test and their were no holes or leaks
-Replaced the fuel filter
-Replaced the fuel pump
among many other things

Old 06-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Default Stalling Vehicle

Why don't you post the DTCs?

Why not perform a starting fluid test?

Old 06-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Default I have spent 40 days trying to fix this car!!!

40 DAYS i've spent 40 days trying to get this car fixed and no one can fix it or tell me whats wrong

I Bought a 2001 Cadillac DTS with 130,000 miles on it a week ago, the first few days I had no problems it ran great. Then it began to stall it first did it while I was stopped at a light then it did it while I was coasting. It began to do it more often but only while idling or coasting, so I ran fuel injection thru it twice and made sure I put premium gas in it. That seemed to help for a couple days but then it started stalling again. Now it stalls all the time not just idling or coasting It also began to have problems while i was driving and I would release the gas peddle to slow down around a turn or something like that and then when I press the gas to accelerate it would take a couple seconds before the engine would respond to me pressing the gas peddle and then when it did finally respond it would jerk forward. (I believe it is only doing this because the engine is trying to stall but by me pressing the gas it stops it from stalling)(sometimes). The car always starts back up but i have to give it gas befor it starts back up. I just pop it into neutral and restart it, it always eventually clicks over. I know their are many things that could be causing this but I was wondering if anyone had this problem or has heard of this problem and could help me narrow down what is causing it. It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I've already taken it to many shop's and they cant figure out whats wrong with it.
I even took it to Cadillac and to the local GM dealer and they run diagnostic but the diagnostic test says there is nothing wrong
I've had 3 diagnostic test done and all three of the places(Cadillace, GM and a Local shop) said nothing is wrong

I'v replaced:
Crank Shaft Sensor
The Whole Computer and had it re-flashed
Ran a smoke test to check for leaks(there were none)
Cleaned the throttle body
Completely cleaned out the fuel injector
Replaced the fuel pump
and fuel hoses

40 days of putting up with this!

DTC's

ABS- C1298
DIM- P1521
DIM- P1540
IRC- U1064
PCM- P1106
PCM- U1040

These are the only ones that had codes, The rest of them said " no codes"

Last edited by FrankWhite; 06-16-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added the DTC's and added the work ive done
Old 06-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Certified Members

What is fuel level when car stalls? Any repairs prior to stalling? How long is car driven prior to stalling? Grounds are always an area concern.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Default Frank's DTC

Thanks for posting the codes. It would be helpfull to know if they are current or history.

From the codes you have posted we know:

ABS- C1298 - PCM Class 2 Serial Data Link Malfunction
DIM- P1521 - Transmission Engaged at High Throttle Angle
DIM- P1540 - Air Conditioning (A/C) Refrigerant Overpressure - Air Conditioning (A/C) Disabled
IRC- U1064 - The DIM is sometimes not communicating with the IRC.
PCM- P1106 - The MAP sensor signal is out of range. This probably set the service engine soon light as well.
PCM- U1040 - The EBCM is sometimes not communicating with the PCM.

I think your problem is related to the C1298, U1040, and U1064 codes. Clear the codes, then post the ones that come back. Indicate current or history. Since there is likely a problem on the communication circuit, also include the list of NO codes. If you want help locating the connectors to test on the circuits, then post the wiring diagram for the communication circuit as well. Otherwise just start checking the communication circuit and both the power and grounds to the EBCM and DIM. It will be easier to fix this problem with the wiring diagrams included in the factory service manual.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:03 PM

is this one have the ignition key in the ipc
not on the column

we had a bad batch of them
also we did get some faulty crank sensors
did they replace both of them

if you could get a hold of a gm scanner and put it into record mode
you can see what drops off.

Last edited by gmtechs; 08-12-2010 at 12:13 PM.