the $46,000 Cadillac DeVille

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default the $46,000 Cadillac DeVille

why does anyone have to defend the use of a AMERICAN CAR, specially a Cadillac?
we, as a society zero in on the most silly subjects and ignore what is important.

we had a simlar issue here with Arnold and his Hummers

WHY ? ? ? ?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Governor Patrick defends use of Cadillac
February 17, 2007

Governor Deval Patrick unabashedly defended his use of a $46,000 Cadillac DeVille for state business, saying yesterday that he abandoned the more customary and less expensive Crown Victoria used by former governor Mitt Romney because "they don't make it anymore."

Hours later his aides acknowledged that the statement was inaccurate.

Crown Victorias are still being made, they said, but do not meet security standards mandated by State Police.

A State Police spokesman said the new Crown Victoria's side airbags interfered with special security equipment that would be installed in the governor's car. He would not describe the equipment.

As the focus intensified on the new governor's spending habits, the administration also found itself fielding questions about hiring a $72,000-a-year aide to handle scheduling and interview requests for Patrick's wife, Diane, a law partner at Ropes & Gray. The new aide, Amy Gorin of Wellesley, and her husband, Norm, led the governor's fund-raising committee.

Patrick is the first governor since Michael S. Dukakis, who left office in 1990, to hire a staff member for a spouse.

"Mrs. Patrick has a full-time job as a practicing attorney, so staff assistance relative to her official duties as first lady is necessary, " said Patrick spokesman Kyle Sullivan.

In appearances and interviews yesterday, Patrick gave a series of defenses for his use of the luxury DeVille.

He said that in conjunction with State Police, he made the decision that the $1,166-a-month car was "useful and appropriate," and that he was too busy with state financial issues to focus too much on which car he used.

He pointed out that it is American-made and comfortable and said to an Associated Press reporter: "You should take a ride in it. It's nice."

"I appreciate that some would prefer that we had bought a different model car," he said. "That desk is stacked with decisions. This is not one I spent much time on. Given the weight and seriousness of the other decisions I have had, I don't have any regrets about this."

Patrick, who pledged during the campaign to convert the state's automobile fleet to hybrids, said that he considered one for himself, but that State Police wanted "something with giddyap."

He said he is looking at retrofitting the car for biofuel.

Asked whether he recognized that he might come under fire for leasing a Cadillac, particularly while he is struggling to close a projected $1 billion budget gap, Patrick said: "I'm sensitive to the fact that I might be criticized for the tie I wear every day. I'm sensitive to that, but I can't be controlled by it."

Patrick aides said the only other option offered by the State Police was a Chrysler 300C, at an estimated cost of $37,000, but wouldn't say why they ultimately chose the Cadillac DeVille DTS.

In addition to the monthly lease payments, state officials have spent $2,455 on special security upgrades, including blue lights and a siren.

Patrick's erroneous statement about the availability of Crown Victorias was the result of a misunderstanding with State Police, they said.

The state already owns Romney's old Crown Victoria, which Patrick rode in during his first month in office. He said the car had high mileage and a broken heater. State officials bought the car for $11,520 after the $623-a-month lease expired in October 2005.

Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom said Romney also used sport utility vehicles in special situations.

"Depending on the cir***stance, both Deval Patrick and Mitt Romney have access through the State Police to special-use vehicles, such as large capacity SUVs," Fehrnstrom said. "But those are not their regular autos, and they are used infrequently."

House minority leader Bradley Jones, Republican of North Reading, accused Patrick of spending excessively while calling on others to tighten their belts.

Last month, Patrick asked all of his agencies to find ways to cut 5 to 10 percent from their budgets.

The governor is expected to deliver his budget Feb. 28.

"You keep hearing the budget is getting worse and worse, but the perks seem to be getting better," Jones said. "And what about fuel efficiency? We seemed to have thrown that to the side.

"I understand that he has a myriad of decisions that are of greater magnitude in the grand scheme of things; I accept that," he said. "But why, when it comes to these decisions, is it always the grander, more expensive alternative, instead of the less costly or more inconvenient one."

Patrick has also come under scrutiny for using a State Police helicopter twice during his first six weeks in office.

Romney used the helicopter only once during his four-year term.

© Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company

Old 02-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: the $46,000 Cadillac DeVille

The only thing I see wrong is that maybe he should turbo charge it.............

46k is not a lot of money for a car now a days. Actually that car is not bad on gas either.

G.A.R.Y.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

i agree.

as a Gov, i would have choosen a "V" Cadillac or at the least, an ESCALADE. !

Old 02-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: hyperion

My the coffee is good this morning! I have but one request, would you please skip any mention of "teddy." here.

Title: Re: new governor of mass has a caddie
Post by hyperion on Today at 10:16am

[hr]

Zal would have loved to have jumped into this JCS but will never happen I'm afraid.
And Dunitall, JCS has just explained what a state wants from it's senators. One thing for the lack of "term limits" comes seniorty in the senate and the chairmanships and power that goes with it to get things done. Now JCS recognizes the value of Byrd and we recognize the same with Kerry and Kennedy. You folks have just given us a major interstate system that goes right under the city of Boston, well under sea level in a town surrounded by sea water. With it a gorgeous tunnel (named for a guy that has been frozen) under the harbor and a bridge over the Charles river that is "postcard" beautifull and shown several times on each episode of "Boston Legal" every Tuesday night.
That gentlemen is called "major" pork, and only the really smart guys get it.
Now, what the heck is this stuff about immoral and unethical?
I have heard of immoral but that was way back in 1968 and as far as the booze!, exclude that and you lose well over half of the senate and a large part of congress.
Let's not even think about getting into Texas and the financeing and ownership of the Texas Rangers. (now we are really talking "oil money" and Saudi Arabia. All perfectly legal, of course!)
Don't anyone forward any of this to stealth. He'd be "crushed" and I would need an other beer.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:10 PM

I believe the Cad is leased at about $1375/mo. I wonder if you get to keep the blue lights if you purchase it off leaseback?

Old 02-21-2007, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

http://members.fortunecity.com/statepdcars/pasp218.jpg]Cadillac DTS with Governor Rendel[/URL]

The PA State Police provide security for the governor, and drive his car.
The current car is a Cadilliac DTS

they all drive nice wheels in PA ...

Old 02-23-2007, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

WTF, what kind of small minds are in the media these days. This is absolutely ridiculous to be thinking the govenor shouldn't drive around in a nice comfortable car, especailly one that cost less than $50,000! Time for a reality check. I am in Canada and we had a similar thing with the Prime Minister. He has a Deville too and his RCMP security police drive around him in black Chrysler 300's and one black Yukon XL.This was front page news too. I suppose Joe Average has no hope of ever getting into a Deville or even a 300 but to deny your Govenor or PM, that is just stupid.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

It seems the media in our respective countries, as is in England, is out of control. Fact of the matter is we need the media, but we need them they way they were 25 years ago. I think maybe it's jealousy because the only thing they can afford to drive is a Kia. That's because they are a dime a dozen now. There was a time when you had a few good ones, and they drove Caddy's and Lincolns.

G.A.R.Y.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

On a realted matter the headlines here in Toronto are ripping the Mayor. He wants to redo his office at a budget estimate of $60,000 and all hell is breaking loose.This is the guy's second 3 year term and people like him and now this BS. This is the largest City in Canada and he has dignitaries from all over the world coming in to see him. Imo he better have a damn nice office.Try doing a reno on your home for $60K!

PS. He rides a bike to work!

Old 02-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

At over a buck a liter he is saving beacoup money on gas by riding his bike to work.

60k American is about what it cost to do my bathroom and kitchen. Sounds like this guy is a keeper. Afterall there are exceptions to the rule "never vote for the in***bant".