Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

1996 Cadillac DeVille 126,000 miles - $1350 (brooklyn)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 06:34 PM
Default 1996 Cadillac DeVille 126,000 miles - $1350 (brooklyn)

Hi All, Reluctantly selling my Caddy as I have to leave the country - craigslist ad with photos is here: 1996 Cadillac DeVille 126,000 miles

My number is 347 634 5371 and email ricastle at yahoo.com

1996 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 4.6 V8 FWD sedan 'Roadster' model 126,000 miles, in overall good/very good condition with few issues (described below), New Jersey registered with inspection until October 2015, currently located in Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn. Four good tires, space saver spare, runs like a dream, gets close to 26mpg on highway, and around 16-18 in town -- over the last 850 miles I have averaged 23mpg in town and out. Drove to Chicago and back last November and got about 25mpg over the whole trip. Bought this in September and now need to sell as moving abroad in a month (that doesn't mean I will sell it for nothing -- I have someone who will take over the sale in my absence). I've put about 5,000 miles on it and have thoroughly enjoyed driving the Caddy -- very smooth ride, great acceleration when needed, good stopping too. Extremely comfortable -- like driving a lazyboy with a V8 attached. Seats adjust almost infinitely ensuring an ideal driving position without any aches or pains. Has all the extras you would expect from a Cadillac -- listed below.

Now this is an 18 year old car, so it's not perfect or in showroom condition anymore. The paint is generally very good, but there are a few scratches here and there, a couple of parking lot dings, and two tiny patches of rust on the trunk and hood. I think all the scratches would buff out with a good paint restorer and polish. The wheels are showing signs of age, but no major damage. The leather interior is mostly good, with no rips or tears, but there are cracks and obvious signs of wear. The carpets are good, as is the headlining and door trim, except for the rear doors which have apparently been attacked a little by the previous owners' dog. The driver's side rear door is also missing its auto-lock button (I think its fallen inside the door). The remote control buttons for the stereo and heating on the steering wheel don't work, but all the other electrics and gadgets work great. When I bought the car, the digital display wasn't working, so I replaced the display part with a spare I got on ebay, and it all works fine now -- and the digital display shows loads of info, from MPG, to oil life, to water temp, and hundreds of codes from the engine management computer.

There are a couple of mechanical issues with the car -- first, the computer will sometimes throw up a code that relates to a sensor in the transmission. I checked this out online and found out that the sensor is a $20 part, but its buried $2000 deep in the transmission. The fault it is supposed to warn about is one that would cause the transmission to shift harshly, but that isn't happening, and further online research revealed that it is not uncommon for the sensor to act up, throwing up the error codes even when there is no actual problem. The other problem relates to the ABS and traction control systems -- again, on occasion the computer will throw out error codes relating to the front wheel speed sensors, and this will trigger the ABS and TC systems to shut down until the car is restarted. At times, the ABS will also kick in when it shouldn't -- again, this stops on the next restart. Again, online checking suggests these are computer or sensor related errors, and they don't affect the drivability of the car. I checked the wiring on the ABS sensors, and one wire has been patched, which (again) internet research suggests could be the issue, as the ABS sensors are very sensitive to voltage changes. These issues were there when I bought the car, and they haven't got any worse or affected the driving since then. There is also a rattle sometimes from the A/C unit, but the A/C and heating both work great. I changed the oil shortly after I got the car, and its due again in another 1000 miles or so. The Northstar engine cover is missing, but otherwise the engine is totally standard. I have the Haynes workshop manual, and an owner's manual for the car, but no service history. I also have a small collection of 80s cassette tapes for the stereo, which I will include for free!

Now the spec list:
• Digital Instrument Panel
• Power Heated Mirrors
• Lighted Entry System
• Power Antenna
• Power Brakes
• Rear Window Defroster
• Tinted Glass
• 4.6L V8 DOHC 32V FI Engine
• 4-Speed Automatic Transmission
• Self Leveling Suspension
• Trip Computer
• Alloy Wheels
• Traction Control
• 4-Wheel ABS
• Driver and Passenger Front Airbags
• Front Split Bench Seat
• Power Driver's Seat
• Power Front Passenger Seat
• Front and Rear Center Armrests
• Cruise Control
• Power Steering
• Remote Trunk Release
• Tilt Steering Wheel
• Leather Steering Wheel Trim
• Air Conditioning
• Automatic Climate Control
• Intermittent Windshield Wipers
• Power Windows
• Power Door Locks
• Automatic On/Off Headlights
• Daytime Running Lights
• Auto-Dim Rear View Mirror
• AM/FM/Cassette Audio System
• Heated Front Seats
• Vinyl Roof
• Leather Seating
• Baggage Rack

I'm asking for $1350 for the Caddy, which is a little below Kelly Blue Book value for a car in good condition. I've been as honest as possible about the car, to avoid any disappointment or wasted calls/viewings -- if there is anything I have missed out, just ask. As stated above, the car is New Jersey registered but located in Windsor Terrace. Viewing possible most days and at weekends -- please email me, text, or call (if no reply, leave a message and I will call you back). Cash only -- no checks, no shiny beads, no wire transfers or offers to buy from abroad -- showing up with the money is the only way to buy the car!