Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

WARNING to all Steel/aluminum engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Default WARNING to all Steel/aluminum engines

After my 2001 Deville limo had a MAJOR problem I learned that any steel block/ aluminum head engine needs to have anti freeze changed every 1-2 yrs or you will need a new engine(or expensive over haul). Seems the anti freeze causes corrosian(sp) at the point where the different metals meet. I live in NC on the coast. It never really gets that cold here... I might reduce my mix so its 20/80(water). In the old days just water was used. If I live where it rarely drops below freezing can I use more water and less anti freeze?? Or can I just add anti freeze in winter and then drain it some and mix in more water in summer??

Old 09-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator
Default aluminum engine corrosion ...

ORIGINAL: tommygunner06

After my 2001 Deville limo had a MAJOR problem I learned that any steel block/ aluminum head engine needs to have anti freeze changed every 1-2 yrs or you will need a new engine(or expensive over haul). Seems the anti freeze causes corrosian(sp) at the point where the different metals meet. I live in NC on the coast. It never really gets that cold here... I might reduce my mix so its 20/80(water). In the old days just water was used. If I live where it rarely drops below freezing can I use more water and less anti freeze?? Or can I just add anti freeze in winter and then drain it some and mix in more water in summer??
NOOOOOOOOOOO !

a solution below 30% does not protect .. NOT !
In the old days, cars were unlike today's cars.

50 / 50 mix and change per the FAQ isntructions .. go to our FAQ section.

sorry, i didnt want to go out and search for sticker at 10 pm at ngiht .. here one off another car ..
an aluminum engine is an aluminum engine .. thsi sticker applies to every alum engine in the planet ...
including GM, Ford, Dodge, Honda, etc. etc.

ALSO, do read the TAP WATER warning ...

[IMG]local://upfiles/2893/0E41D4EFEDC342B3B508FF200D13B0CB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Default RE: WARNING to all Steel/aluminum engines

It's the DexCool coolant I have a friend that used to work at GM he told me the DexCool corrodes very fast doesn't even protect a bit that's why everyone's head gaskets on these cadillacs blows because the coolant corrodes all the seals and oxidates everything. Use the pre-1996 coolant it is a different color then the DexCool. They tell you to use DexCool because car shops make money when owners cadillacs break down.