Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Thermogasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Thermogasket

Seems like if this stuff gives you an extra couple of years running, you are in the money
at headgasket job ar around $3,000.

Good deal? Did it cost less then $100?

ORIGINAL: Belcriss

No. Simply put that you can use this stuff as long as your not in weather that goes below zero. If your in a climatethat never goes below zero, then according to the rep, yes, you can leave it in as long as you like. In my case, I can only run it until september then I have to take it out. It doesn't react well with antifreeze, and I need to get antifreeze back in my system for the winter. If you live in a southern clime, and it never freezes there, then by what the rep told me, you could leave it in forever. Of course, this is a rep, so take it with a grain of salt. All I know is that so far, after three weeks, I am very satisfied. That doesn't mean something else can't go wrong, or that it doesn't take after a couple of years, but so far its fine.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 AM

It was around 100.00 then shipping and taxes. I also had to pay duty, but it was still worth it.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:30 AM

Well, I would love to say this is a perfect world, but I have an update that is less than perfect. Although it was not Thermagasket's fault IMHO, I had to shell out the big bucks, get my '92 Deville three new gaskets and since it was stripped down to the heads, had them polished and the rings replaced. Yup, as soon as I switched out the thermagasket and added antifreeze back to the car not only did it run worse, it was going through at least double the antifreeze. That is just my bad luck.

My buddy that used the other half of the aforementioned Thermagasket hasn't had any problems in his Lumina. Still runs great since the treatment, AND, isn't showing any signs of reverting back to the original problems he had: choppy running, overheating and bad fuel economy. His car continues to run great.

As for my car, had it stripped down to the heads, and all cylinders showed signs of antifreeze leaking into them. Thermagasket wasn't going to help me. I also had one bolt stripped and had to have an insert put in where the aluminum intake tightens to the block. In other words, there was no way I was going to escape the long way.

I hope this helps other members that are curious about this product. It works. As long as you only have one issue with your gaskets. Its a crap shoot, I lost. I still don't regret trying before shelling out the big bucks.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Great follow up post. Sorry it didn't work out for you. gotta catch it early..

Good luck..........

Old 01-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Default RE: AutoRx Thermogasket

Yep, the information on Thermogasket for fixing blown head gaskets was helpful. I thought it might be the problem on my '97 seville, so I ordered a treatment kit with flush for $120 in december 08. I was loosing coolant and never could find the leak. I did'nt have extreme smoking or water in the oil or coolant, yet I would have to add coolant almost weekly in the winter. My seville has never overheated, but I kept thinking it might be the head bolts. While the kit was on the way, I decided to replace the thermostat, radiator, hoses, and the water pump gasket. Guess what? The leak be gone! I now am stuck with a thermogasket kit. I have tried multiple techniques to get an RMA to return the kit, yet they will not respond. I am sure that people really believe there is a guarantee, but be aware. If I can't return an unused kit, what makes you think you will get a guarantee. It even states in the information that came with the kit, that the guarantee does not apply to the Northstar!

I can not say whether or not the thermogasket will work. It seems plausible. I was going to give it a try. If you have exhausted all other repair solutions and want to try it, drop me a note.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:07 PM

I ordered the thermogasket kit with flush for the Northstar in Dec 08. Never used it. My problem seems to have been small leaks in the radiator or that darn waterpump gasket. I can't get a response on them to return it, so if you think you might want to try it - let me know.
Richard

Old 01-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

The use of thermogasket can be controversial .. there are others like it on the shelves of parts stores, all with some degree of success. Some people see it as a temporary fix, some as a permanent fix .. I guess it all depends how long "temporary" is to each owner.

i do hope you added the Bars Leak to take care of the "small" leaks that will invariable happen on your 8 year old car.

Last edited by Stealth; 07-04-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Default Thermogasket: IT WORKS!

EVERYONE told me not to do it. I figured I had nothing to lose except a busted Northstar engine. So far I've put 1500+ miles on it (1999 Cadillac DeVille) and though it occasionally exceeds the 196-206 temperature range (as high as 226) there isn't a chocolate milkshake in it. I travel 100 miles round trip to Houston five days out of the week and I set cruise control at 85. It runs fine. The heat happens when I sit at lights or in traffic. Haven't figured out why. While I'm driving it stays between 196 and 201 at the highest. If I stomp it, it puts me snug into the seat, head snapped back.

Last edited by Smiley-EL; 10-27-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Smiley-EL
EVERYONE told me not to do it. I figured I had nothing to lose except a busted Northstar engine. So far I've put 1500+ miles on it (1999 Cadillac DeVille) and though it occasionally exceeds the 196-206 temperature range (as high as 226) there isn't a chocolate milkshake in it. I travel 100 miles round trip to Houston five days out of the week and I set cruise control at 85. It runs fine. The heat happens when I sit at lights or in traffic. Haven't figured out why. While I'm driving it stays between 196 and 201 at the highest. If I stomp it, it puts me snug into the seat, head snapped back.

The same thing happens with my 96 seville. highway speeds and the temp is good but city driving and stop lights cause my N* to overheat.
Bad headgaskets?
Cracked head?
who knows

Old 05-25-2012, 06:37 PM

I am also looking to use Themogasket on my 2000 Deville 4.6 L V8 DOHC Northstar Engine (Calif Emmisions) w/85K and the car has been well taken care of.

These replies are good, but has anyone used this product recently. I performed the head gasket test and yes it's bad and according to the GM Dealer has to do with the threads on the bolt design. GM once again fails to build quality engine... I have had 89 Suburban 350 had to do the heads on that at 65K. anyway if someone has used the product recently I would greatly appreciate a reply.