Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Thermogasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 04:28 AM
Default Thermogasket

I have what is apparently a leaking head gasket in my '92 Deville. I remember seeing on here a link about this thermogasket. I was wondering if anyone on here has tried it, and if so, what was the success that they had with it? How does it work? How much is it? How many miles/km's have you gone since you used this product. Any input would be appreciated!

Old 03-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Thermogasket

Bumping this up to the top to see if we can get any responses.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

I've never had a reason to try it, however I googled and found someone who posted this from anotherboard.

[/align]

Re: Bars Leak Head Gasket[/b] [/align][hr]

Well here it is:

I decided to forget about the pressure testing, and just give this ThermaGasket a try. If ThermaGasket does not work, then I will pursue the other tests. After all I had 2 positive failed tests for Block Gases.

This morning I started engine, ran it until I thought the thermostat was open. I removed lower radiator hose, and let it drain. I did not let it drain completely (wanted to keep as much hot water in there as possible).

Next I used my 44 oz JackinTheBox plastic cup to premix parts A and B of Thermogasket material. Using a funnel, I poured the contents into the upper radiator hose. This surprised me, as I thought the stuff would just flow to bottom of radiator but instead it stopped up in the hose. I had to squeeze the hose to force it down into the radiator. Also some of it spilled out onto the thermostat housing, the hoses, my glove, etc., etc.. My glove hardened completely, and after seeing that cotton glove, I was impressed that if Thermogasket did not fix a head gasket, then nothing would. . I used hot water as suggested, and filled the radiator overflow tank. It only took one gallon, and I suspected the radiator hose was probably clogged up with thermagasket.

I ran engine at 2300-3000 rpms as suggested by RXauto representative. The temp climbed up to 223 in a minute so I let her idle back down to lower temp. The rep wanted me to do 8-10 minutes of continuous high rpms. It turned out that I was only able to perform about 3-4 minutes of those 2300 rpms, and about 25 minutes of idling in between. I remembered the radiator only took one gallon, so I stopped the engine let it cool to below 200 degrees and rechecked water level. Sure enough it took another 1/2 gallon water. I repeated the high rpms for about 2 minutes, let it cool down again and checked water level again. This time I could see level was just above the baffle plate inside the overflow tank. I added a little more water but overfilled to the cap.

At this point, I was not certain if my deviation from the proceedure was going to work (since I did not have smoke out tail pipe Rxauto varied the instructions to fit my situation). I called Rxauto and had to leave a message. Although I was not able to perform the 8-10 mins as directed, I decided to perform the next step anyway, a 15 minute drive at highway speeds.

I decided to take it to the main freeway, and go all up hill. During the drive RXauto rep called me (the chemist) and actually talked me through the drive. He instructed me to keep the rpms as high as possible at over 2000 rpms. He said, during the first 10 minutes especially it is important to keep the rpms high. Even driving around the neighborhood in low gear would be good. It is best to stress the engine out, get it expanded as much as possible. This allows Thermogasket to get into all the little cracks. During the drive my temperature never went above 202 and this is up hill. I pulled into a parking lot after driving 25 minutes, and popped the hood.

On the ground below the overflow hose was a drop of water. So I let engine cool down to below 190 degrees, and checked coolant level. To my surprise, it did not need 1/2 a gallon as it would have before using Thermogasket. I started pouring water into overflow tank, and realised that it was already full, only I could not see the level very well in the shade, so I wound up filling almost to the cap.

On the drive home, I decided to do the same route I previously used for testing, and excelerated but not as hard as the other day. Thinking that If I lost a half gallon of water again, then I would know the Thermogasket is not working. The test drive went well, temperature stayed below 205 degrees. When I got home I found a drop of water below the overflow hose again. I let engine cool to 150 degrees and checked water level. Surprise, it was above the baffle plate, about 2 inches below cap.

Now I am thinking, I was merely overfilling and this is the radiator cap doing its job equalizing, and that is why I am seeing drops of water. To prove my theory, I left the water level alone and took for the test drive as before. The Thermogasket guy told me, everytime I drive the car it will get better. He was absolutely right, I never knew this car would run like a sports car. Fast smooth shifts at over 4000 rpms each, and temp never went above 199. She ran like new. I got home checked and not a drop of water on ground, let it cool down to below 200, checked level of water and it was normal at the same place as when I left for test drive. Now when engine is hot and idling I can see a big difference, so there may have been a miss before using the thermogasket.

According to the Rep., if my coolant level stays the same, and it passes a block test, then the Head Gasket is fixed. I will probably do another Gas test in the near future to see. I dont want to be presumpteous but it would appear that Thermogasket has fixed my engine. I want to do a few more things before I jump for joy. Im already impressed to say the least.

1. Check coolant level in the morning cold, I am told this is the proper way, but have my doubts? Although if the level is below baffle plates inside overflow tank when cold (where I cant see), then I will test drive again before adding anything, and check to see the level when hot.

2. Repeat the Block Gas Test

3. Drive up and down the mountain at high speed (very steep incline increases to 4500 feet) and check for temperature, and coolant level afterwards.

I want to add some of my conversation with ThermoGasket inventer. He stated that the more I drive the car, the better it will fix it, and that Thermogasket loves high rpms. He originally designed Thermogasket to protect homes from fires, but modified it by one chemical ingredient to use on engines. It will protect over 1000 degrees. I asked if this was permanent? He responded with a story of a car he just worked on today. Someones car that he did 5 years ago with Themogasket, and the car is now overheating again. It turned out the thermostat went bad and not the thermogasket. He had many such stories, and told me about buying cars with blown gaskets for the cheapest price and fixing them up with thermogasket, even got a mercedes that way for 800 dollars. Told me about so many Norstar engines with blown gaskets my head was spinning. He claims that in the older Norstars like mine 94 and later, Thermogaskets works on them everytime. In my situation Thermogasket will be permanent unless the head bolts are stretched.[/align][/align][/align]

Old 03-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Comment:
Part A Base, Part B Catalyst usually means EPOXY; the product also
has a Elemental Carbon and Iron Metallic Alloy compound in suspension.
Cost: ~ $100 for thermogasket

should you try it, when you are done, remember to fill your cooling system
with a 50/50 coolant mix and ADD THE GOLD SEAL BAR'S LEAKS

which is the same stuff GM adds to every car coming from the factory,
ginger root based, NOT METALLIC.

they changed the packaing for GOLD SEAL BAR'S LEAKS, but you will
still find the word GOLD or GOLDEN somewhere. BIG-LOTS has it for $0.90.
The BAR's LEAKS, i swear by, i dont move any vehicle w/o it. i carry several
when off-road driving, it will even seal a radiator gravel hole to get you home.

lastly, remember to ignore GM's 150,000 mile, 5 year coolange change
and instead do it in two years or less. why? go and read this:

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_6258/tm.htm

FYI, all below is unedited ... w/o recommendation PRO or CON ...

originator: ldare_2000
Bracket Racer

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:40 pm

I tried this stuff. I had a good look on the net and there where loads of idiots posting I am about to buy this..... and no follow ups.

I found it DID work, and can also confirm a successful compression test.

I don't expect it to last a life time. But Its worked so far so good.

Only down side said $45 for postage to UK and box has $22 postage on it. Bit naughty to make 100% on postage.

Other downside - Website says fully money back etc. In order to get money back instructions say you need to fax them an engineers report completed before and after using thermogasket. - I fear this might cost as much as the product and would put off most unsuccessful purchased.

Like I said it worked for me. I didn't even follow the instructions very well, didn't remove the thermostat and didn't change the oil despite it being milky.

Ask me a question if you want - ldare_2000@yahoo.co.uk

http://www.carbdford.com/viewtopic.p...5b7557c60db94f

originator: The Angry Bishop
Aug 5th, 2004 6:48

It's not snake oil.

"Thermagasket is a 2-part, Ceramic Fiber, Elemental Carbon and Iron Metallic Alloy compound suspended in a viscous liquid! It can be used in all aluminum, steel, and cast iron engine blocks"

Sounds too good to be true? It probobly is...and if it was cheaper than a hundred bucks, I'd be worried. But it's not...it's like 120 with a money back guarantee. And the mechanism through which it works makes sense.

http://www.at-archive.org/?thread=15...board=alliance

What are the symptoms of a blown head gasket?
The most visual sign of a blown head gasket is steam visible from the tail pipe after the car is warm. However, many cars with minor damage to the head gasket don’t show any visual indicators. In this case the cooling system must be checked for the presence of exhaust gasses. Another symptom frequently encountered is water in the oil. It appears as a milky white emulsion under the oil cap and on the dipstick.

Q: Will Thermagasket work in all vehicles?
A: Thermagasket will work in all water cooled vehicles (Having a radiator) with gas and diesel engines.
Regardless of year make or model Vehicle Must Run!
This includes Motorcycles, Mercedes, BMW, and Cadillac NorthStar Engines.

Q: Is Thermagasket compatible with Anti Freeze/Coolant (Ethylene / Propylene Glycol)
A: Thermagasket is chemically not compatible with Antifreeze!
Therefore we recommended that you completely flush the cooling system and replace with water before treating the vehicle. Antifreeze is a complex alcohol, therefore has a solvent action on the surface of metal which will inhibit optimal adhesion.

Thermagasket Head & Block Treatment Kit
16 oz Part A Base
8 oz Part B Catalyst

Old 03-26-2007, 11:47 PM

I thank you all for your responses, of course most of it is stuff posted from other forums. I will definitely give it a shot I think. I shall post on here another time about my experience and if its any good for me. My Deville is a winter beater, and it will be going down for the summer soon. So next fall I will probably put the stuff in and give it a shot. Thanks once again for the help!

Old 06-30-2007, 07:12 PM

Although I said I wouldn't do it till fall, I was talking to one of the sales reps for Thermogasket and he told me even if I wasn't driving the car much during the summer still do it. The longer you keep the stuff in, the better job it does. Being in Canada, I have to be careful how long I keep it in, cause it doesn't react well with antifreeze. So he said in the fall take it out, and drive the car as much as I can during the summer. So I did the process three weeks ago and I am happy to say that its fixed my problems. Also, the rep said that the severity of the problem in my car was fairly minor so only use half. So I sold the other half to a buddy of mine with an older Lumina, and its fixed his car as well. He only did it a couple of days ago but so far he is very very very satisfied with his car. It was overheating very badly, running choppy and all kind of antifreeze was being burnt up. This stuff works! I will update later in the fall when I change back out, but for now I will leave it in as long as I can, and drive the car on rainy days so my Z28 getsa good workout all summer... have a nice summer guys, and thanks for the info on this!

Old 06-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

glad to see you got a running car back.

can you expand on this:
"The longer you keep the stuff in, the better job it does"

thanks

ORIGINAL: Belcriss

Although I said I wouldn't do it till fall, I was talking to one of the sales reps for Thermogasket and he told me even if I wasn't driving the car much during the summer still do it. The longer you keep the stuff in, the better job it does. Being in Canada, I have to be careful how long I keep it in, cause it doesn't react well with antifreeze. So he said in the fall take it out, and drive the car as much as I can during the summer. So I did the process three weeks ago and I am happy to say that its fixed my problems. Also, the rep said that the severity of the problem in my car was fairly minor so only use half. So I sold the other half to a buddy of mine with an older Lumina, and its fixed his car as well. He only did it a couple of days ago but so far he is very very very satisfied with his car. It was overheating very badly, running choppy and all kind of antifreeze was being burnt up. This stuff works! I will update later in the fall when I change back out, but for now I will leave it in as long as I can, and drive the car on rainy days so my Z28 getsa good workout all summer... have a nice summer guys, and thanks for the info on this!

Old 07-01-2007, 09:04 AM

The longer you leave the stuff in, the better the job it does. In other words, you can leave the stuff in, it won't do any harm to your car. The longer you leave it in, the better of a job it does, by what the rep told me. I would assume that means that the patch will be harder and can't break. I really can't answer for it, thats just what I was told.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Tech Certified Members

can one add it and forget about it until the next coolant change?

ORIGINAL: Belcriss

The longer you leave the stuff in, the better the job it does. In other words, you can leave the stuff in, it won't do any harm to your car. The longer you leave it in, the better of a job it does, by what the rep told me. I would assume that means that the patch will be harder and can't break. I really can't answer for it, thats just what I was told.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:20 PM

No. Simply put that you can use this stuff as long as your not in weather that goes below zero. If your in a climatethat never goes below zero, then according to the rep, yes, you can leave it in as long as you like. In my case, I can only run it until september then I have to take it out. It doesn't react well with antifreeze, and I need to get antifreeze back in my system for the winter. If you live in a southern clime, and it never freezes there, then by what the rep told me, you could leave it in forever. Of course, this is a rep, so take it with a grain of salt. All I know is that so far, after three weeks, I am very satisfied. That doesn't mean something else can't go wrong, or that it doesn't take after a couple of years, but so far its fine.