Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Stop leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default Stop leak?

Well i just got tired of messin with my old radiator and just bought a brand new one for $190. i put it in, and the problems with my heater are gone. I didnt under stand why i blew a hole in my old radiator twice until i stuck my finger inside and scooped out chunks of crap that i have seen in the stuff called "stop leak." i was always told never to use that so i never did. So the previous owner that did had basicly pluged up the radiator holes and the leak and caused me to get frustrated and now i was stuck with the bill. but now all is well with my cady deville. Also i got my fuel pump changed and now my devlille seems to have a lil more go power. so now all i have left to fix is my rear stuts. Hopefully this deville will apreciated what im doing for it. lol

Old 03-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Stop leak?

you didnt mention what "stop seal" you found, but no stop seal is meant as a
permanent fix. replacing the radiator is the right thing to do.

also, using "metallic stop seals" is usually not a good idea other than an emergency
to get you home.

your car has the 4500 aluminum engine and the supplement is not only required, but
the damage that can happen w/o it is very expensive. w/o the "ginger" based supplement
in the porous alum blocks, coolant can leak into the oil passages and crankcase.
this supplement has the talent for finding pores and crevices to fill and expanding if
exposed to gas/air.

the GM supplement is 100% identical to the "GOLD" or "GOLDEN" Bar's Leak,
which is the "ginger" based product. GM buys it from the same company.
you should find the qty requirement on the label just over the hood unless it was removed.

be sure your system is filled with a 50/50 mix of coolant and ADD THE SUPPLEMENT.
repeat every TWO years and you will probably
never see another cooling system problem again.

if you have any doubts or need more details go to the Allanté forum below and see how
our "hot rods" survive as daily drivers and going on 20 years..

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_6036/tm.htm

i carry plenty of "GOLD" Bar's Leak in my 4x4 and it is a miracle product that has
gotten me home after puncturing a hole 500 miles away in the Baja desert. i also carry two
part gas tank seal in case the Bar's fails to do a job. so far, have not had to use it.

ORIGINAL: 92_Daddylac

Well i just got tired of messin with my old radiator and just bought a brand new one for $190. i put it in, and the problems with my heater are gone. I didnt under stand why i blew a hole in my old radiator twice until i stuck my finger inside and scooped out chunks of crap that i have seen in the stuff called "stop leak." i was always told never to use that so i never did. So the previous owner that did had basicly pluged up the radiator holes and the leak and caused me to get frustrated and now i was stuck with the bill. but now all is well with my cady deville. Also i got my fuel pump changed and now my devlille seems to have a lil more go power. so now all i have left to fix is my rear stuts. Hopefully this deville will apreciated what im doing for it. lol

Old 03-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

92_daddylac, did you get the grille repaired? Just wondering 'cause I really like the look of your car and now you seem to have things running well. How about the interior bits the punks ripped out, any progress there?

Old 03-31-2007, 12:33 AM
Tech Certified Members

yea i got my grill fixed but need to go and get me a glove box and that should beit for the interior as for the exterior every thing else is good. Also the "stop leak" stuff, im unsure about what kind was used all i know is what ever the previuos guyused ended up pluging up the radiator and itkept bursting even after patching the hole with "jb weld" which i just decided toreplace the radiator with a new one that has lifetime warranty. I"ll probably put new pictures in my photo albumtomorrow. Also in response to "stealth" the 91-93 Had the 4.9Liter as for the 88-90 had the 4.5Liter.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Glove box door

I see two glove box doors on eBay right now, real sweet wood grained but they are for the 92 rear drive cars. Have a look from time to time, I am sure one will come up for your car.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:32 AM
Tech Certified Members

yea i have looked and found some here and there but i just need to go to my local salvage yard and get one for $10. i had a neighbor run into the front driver side door about 8 months agoand put a huge dent in my door (which i still have) and all i had him do was give me $200 and got me a door for $50 from a salvage yard which i had to pull the door off my self and it also was the same color too. so i basicaly was lucky. so now i go to the salvage yard to check and if i cant find it there then i look online. And my glove box door is on but only by the latch, just so it doesnt look like it is broke, just dont try and open it the door will fall off into your lap.[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 03-31-2007, 06:43 PM
Tech Certified Members

here is what my front looks like now with my grill also i have put more pics in my profile.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2372/BB84671A456A4BB782ACF2243F61D37D.jpg[/IMG]