Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Default Should I be worried?

I have a 2002 Deville DTS with 80K miles, I have only owned it for about 6 months. In those six months the coolant check has come up on the display approx 3 times and gone back out without me ever adding any fluid.

Often, not always when I park the car I can smell antifreeze, it'susually after the car has been driven about 30 miles or more or if I get stuck in traffic. It has never overheated on me, their is no antifreeze in the oil and the coolant cap is clean with nomilky substance or residue, there is some brown staining on the tank.

I have never flushed the coolant,I have seen all of the posts on the topic and I will be doing it with the next oil chage.

Should I be worried? Could I have a head gasket going or gone? I love the car but not enough to do a $3,000 head gasket change......

Old 01-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Should I be worried?

Over due to flush coolant, if not done by previous owner. Why wait? Have cooling system pressure tested, to be sure there are no leaks.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:17 AM

I will get the system checked for a leak ASAP.

If it does come back with indications of a leak what next? Anything recommmended to help seal the system or will I be looking at doing head gaskets.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Tech Certified Members

did you buy from new car dealership?... might you still have some powertrain warranty? YOU NEED to exchange coolant NOW..... dont wait. let the Forum know whats-up after that, we'll try and help out.... by theway, welcome to the Forum dude!!! sorry..
rickyd

Old 01-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Certified Members

also, aside the postings above, descrive the coolant, color, clearlness, sediment, etc ...

Old 02-04-2008, 03:27 PM

Today I had a few hours to work on the car. I started with a cold system presure test followed by a warmed up system test. Both tests were pumped up to about 16 pounds and timed for about 15 minutes, the system lost maybe 1 pound.

I inspected the coolant and the overflow tank, the coolant looked brand new it was the pink kind. I would suspect it was changed/flushed very recently. It had no sediment or funny color or smells. The overflow tank was dirty with some brown rusty looking stuff.

I dumped the coolant out of the radiator anyway refilled it and added some of the dry additive. It was not the tablet style but a dry powder instead. I hope that kind is OK.

What do you guys think? What else should I be doing???????

Tomorow I will be puting both some highway and around town (traffic) miles. I willpay extra attention to the coolant smell that started this whole post.

I do have a warranty still available but it's through a oustide company not GM. I have a $100 dollar deductible. Should I bring it in?

Old 02-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Certified Members

Call Warranty co. explain whats going on and what is covered and what is not. Hopefully, you have a good policy and your covered. Let them guide you. If you question what they tell you re-post.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: trakspeed

Today I had a few hours to work on the car. I started with a cold system presure test followed by a warmed up system test. Both tests were pumped up to about 16 pounds and timed for about 15 minutes, the system lost maybe 1 pound.

I inspected the coolant and the overflow tank, the coolant looked brand new it was the pink kind. I would suspect it was changed/flushed very recently. It had no sediment or funny color or smells. The overflow tank was dirty with some brown rusty looking stuff.

I dumped the coolant out of the radiator anyway refilled it and added some of the dry additive. It was not the tablet style but a dry powder instead. I hope that kind is OK.

What do you guys think? What else should I be doing???????

Tomorow I will be puting both some highway and around town (traffic) miles. I willpay extra attention to the coolant smell that started this whole post.

I do have a warranty still available but it's through a oustide company not GM. I have a $100 dollar deductible. Should I bring it in?
The dry powder .. are we talking about Bar's GOLD label? Make sure you dont add ANYTHING that may void your warranty - nothing.

Things that worry me:
- The overflow tank comment does worry me a little. The car is only 5 yrs old.
- smell of coolant

Hard to check in MA right now in snow weather, but when the weather warms up, make sure you dont have white fog coming out of tail pipe after car is warm.

IF your coolant level gets low, get a exhaust gas in coolant test. see our FAQ for that. This test is best given under stress, such as a long climb. Flat road driving on a N* is like taking a nap . no stress involved, even at 70 mph.

IF the low coolant message goes on and coolant is ok, we are likley looking at the sensor OR the comnnector?

In the mean time, as slowroll said, inquire what the warranty covers.
Better to know than get a surprise.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 AM

The dry additive I used wasn't Barr's gold but a store name brand of the same stuff. I asked a guy that has in the past been I feel quite knowledgable and he said it was the same stuff just with a differen't name. Was that OK to use?????

Running test - exhaust gas leakage into cooling system
Start the engine, cold and with the pressure cap off the pressurized surge tank.
Look for for bubbling or "false boilling" in tank.
Bubbling may be a sign that combustion pressure is entering the cooling system

I got these instructions forperforming the exhaust gas in coolant test from the FAQ section, I have a couple questions on actually performing it:

Stealth said This test is best given under stress, such as a long climb. Flat road driving on a N* is like taking a nap . no stress involved, even at 70 mph.

1. Should I start with a cold system take the cap off and drive without it putting stress (heat) into the system, park the car with it running and watch for the bubbles?

2. Will the system heat up properly with the cap off? Will coolantbubble out of the tank with no cap on it?

3. Yesterday when I flushed the system I left the car running to top it off, I had it running for a good 30 minutes and the fans never came on. The car was just idiling in park and the outside temperature was about 35 degrees. The needle stayed and has always stayed in the normal range. Is this OK?

Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: trakspeed

The dry additive I used wasn't Barr's gold but a store name brand of the same stuff. I asked a guy that has in the past been I feel quite knowledgable and he said it was the same stuff just with a differen't name. Was that OK to use?????

Running test - exhaust gas leakage into cooling system
Start the engine, cold and with the pressure cap off the pressurized surge tank.
Look for for bubbling or "false boilling" in tank.
Bubbling may be a sign that combustion pressure is entering the cooling system

I got these instructions forperforming the exhaust gas in coolant test from the FAQ section, I have a couple questions on actually performing it:

Stealth said This test is best given under stress, such as a long climb. Flat road driving on a N* is like taking a nap . no stress involved, even at 70 mph.

1. Should I start with a cold system take the cap off and drive without it putting stress (heat) into the system, park the car with it running and watch for the bubbles?

2. Will the system heat up properly with the cap off? Will coolantbubble out of the tank with no cap on it?

3. Yesterday when I flushed the system I left the car running to top it off, I had it running for a good 30 minutes and the fans never came on. The car was just idiling in park and the outside temperature was about 35 degrees. The needle stayed and has always stayed in the normal range. Is this OK?
Stealth was referring to the chemical test, not the bubles test.
Bubble test if fine, if the leak is sever.
The chemical test will spot failing gaskets that open up when the engine is under stress and the heat is on big time.

Bar's Gold is organic, based on ginger root to be exact.

If you used the other stuff, metallic, well .. .. that is not what Cadillac, Ford, GM, Lincoln, Chrysler, etc .. advice.
But you dont state what you used. I buy Bar's Gold for $1 to $2 a tube, ground form instead of "tablet" form. Not sure why any store would have a store brand at that price.

Quick Reply: Should I be worried?