Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Problem with my dads 92 deville

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Default Problem with my dads 92 deville

My dad is having a problem with his 92 deville that no one can seem to fix. He will be driving along with no problems and all of a sudded he starts losing power. The speedometer will start going back and forth and the car will hesitate for a while and then go right back as if nothing ever happened. Recently it became worse and it would die completely and would take a while to get started back. This will happen if driving at 30-50 on country roads or at 70 on the interstate. He's replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump and had a new computer put in but the problem still exists. Whenever he takes it somewhere it doesn't act up for anyone else. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks Scoolie.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:42 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Problem with my dads 92 deville

Hey scoolie: I would zero in on the distributor. Assuming that you have the HEI ignition, pull the distributor cover for the coil and clean the spring , washer , and coil cavity, then use some dielectric lubricant on the rubber washer and replace the coil. Have the distributor module tested as well as the pickup coil. Hope this helps.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

I had what sounds like a similar problem with a 1992 Bonneville. You may or may not besurprised to know that the top of the line Pontiac shared many common parts with the Cadillacs. I'd say your father has a fuel delivery problem. My mechanic could never find anything wrong. Finally I had a visible leak from what seemed like the fuel tank. Turned out it was the sending unit leaking fuel out the top. Once replaced I never had the surging as long as I owned that car. I realize you indicatedthe fuel pump has been changed. You might also check into the fuel injection harness connecter, could be loose or dirty.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:22 PM

Thanks guys. I'll let my dad know to check these things out.