Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Overheating issue i think...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Default Overheating issue i think...

the damn head gasket...okay well my car had a minor coolant leak from the coolant resovoir(over flow) hose. i dropped all 6 of the GM pellets in the overfill tank like a dummy i didnt find out till later that i was suppose to put in 2. well 2 days later it overheated. i came home changed out the thermostat and it still over heats. the car runs fine with no smoke oil/coolant mixed and no loss of horsepower. the fans kicked on at 230temp shouldn't it be sooner? and when it reached 265 it started to blow out more white smoke maybe cuz the motor was running at 265?? i bought the car with check engine light on... bank1 and bank2 too lean and cylinder 1 misfire detected is there anything else it can be the car only has 83K on it?? please help me!!

Old 12-07-2009, 06:21 PM

oh yeah i forgot i touched the radiator and it isnt even hot or even warm as a matter of fact its cold!!!when u open the hood the front of the radiator is exposed. but the hoses are heard and have pressure could it possibly be radiator???

Old 12-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by 97devillenmd
oh yeah i forgot i touched the radiator and it isnt even hot or even warm as a matter of fact its cold!!!when u open the hood the front of the radiator is exposed. but the hoses are heard and have pressure could it possibly be radiator???

are u saying that the engine overheats and the radiator remains COLD ?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:00 PM

yes i forget what they call it but the grill honey comb on both sides are cold and so are the sides i ran it without a coolant over flow cap and it read 230degrees coolant it didn't bubble or overflow. maybe a coolant temperature sensor gone bad?? this time both fans kicked on at 215degrees i think i might of blown the headgasket tho running it at 265 for a couple of minuters cuz there was abnormally more white smoke. maybe cuz i need 02 sensors replaced gas air fuel might not be right or head gasket?? the smoke doesnt smell sweet tho its very strong smelling! radiator,coolant temp sensor, water pump or head gasket?? im thinking head gasket cuz of the smoke im not sure tho how much does it cost to replace it anyway?? is it better just to get another motor??

-Jay

Old 12-07-2009, 09:35 PM

when i had a blown head gasket on a lincoln it ran like crap how can this car run so good with no loss horsepower or rough idle and do this?? can u really blow a head gasket and loss no performance at all? can this be a bad intake manifold gasket too??

Old 12-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by 97devillenmd
yes i forget what they call it but the grill honey comb on both sides are cold and so are the sides i ran it without a coolant over flow cap and it read 230degrees coolant it didn't bubble or overflow. maybe a coolant temperature sensor gone bad?? this time both fans kicked on at 215degrees i think i might of blown the headgasket tho running it at 265 for a couple of minuters cuz there was abnormally more white smoke. maybe cuz i need 02 sensors replaced gas air fuel might not be right or head gasket?? the smoke doesnt smell sweet tho its very strong smelling! radiator,coolant temp sensor, water pump or head gasket?? im thinking head gasket cuz of the smoke im not sure tho how much does it cost to replace it anyway?? is it better just to get another motor??

-Jay
lets forget the headgasket for now.

the only way a radiator will be cold while the engine overheats, is either the stat has failed, the water pump has failed, the belt has come off, every radiator duct has been blocked. there is no coolant in the system, or someone stuck a potato in the radiator hoses .. you need to figure that out before you go on.

Sensor? OK .. idle it for 10 minutes, sensor or no sensor, the radiator better be hot by then, even in Alaska.

Last edited by stomper; 12-08-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:10 AM

The GM pellets are not supposed to be added in the overfill tank. They are suppose to be added in to the top radiator hose. Id say its possible the little tiny hose from the overfill tank is plugged up causing problems.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Certified Members

with so much going on, i think its time to pull the stat and back flush (non-chemical) the whole cooling system including the heater core, manking sure that the rad is also back flushed and all pasages clear.

fill it properly and see what we got.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Default Overheating issue i think

One question is " are you losing water".... It may sound weird but a bad radiator cap will cause overheating. When the spring gets worn out it gets weak and releases water at low pressure and then wont suck it back in from the overflow tank.... You might also want to check and see if you are getting good circulation.... with the car cold, start it up without the radiator cap on then go watch to see when the thermostat opens.... youll know because the water will start flowing real good from the return hose at the top of the radiator....

Old 12-09-2009, 07:43 PM

well i changed the thermostat already i even boiled the old one and it worked so it wasnt this issue.

i ran a diagnostic check and it came up bank 1 and bank 2 too lean with a cylinder 1 misfire im thinking antifreeze is getting in this one since its in the back of the motor and these are the hardest to cool down. i am losing coolant because i took off the hoses on the over flow and ran hot boiling water thru it to clean out those GM pellets and whatever else the previous owner stuck in there. i seen that the bottom hose of the overflow was dry rotted and very weak. i think i might replace the cap and run a new hose on the bottom of the overflow but i still think its a headgasket because none of these issues will cause white smoke like that out the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Overheating issue i think...