Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

metal temperature switch on 91 Sedan Deville

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 03:35 AM
Default metal temperature switch on 91 Sedan Deville

Currently my 91 sedan deville is in the shop, my wife went to start the car after about 4 hours since the last time, and lights, bells and whistles went off stating the car is overheating. The Chilton manual states that when the metal temperature switch senses a temp of 300+ Farenheit, this switch will ground out causing the light show.

What I want to know, is if the BCM is smart enough to disable the ignition system when it senses this "overheating" condition? Since I was out of town when this happened, I wasn't able to locate the switch and disconnect the wire to see if the car would start.

My regular mechanic retired, and since I was out of town, my wife had the car towed to another shop. They congradulated me on having the only 91 caddy with 187k with original ignition wires! They also stated that when he removed the distributor cap, the rotor and ignition coil were fried and fell apart when he touched them. It will cost me between $500 and $600 dollars for them to replace the cap,rotor,wires plugs, ignition coil and ignition module. They stated that they haven't even looked at this warning light, since there is no spark.

The leather owners manual states that when this light comes on, you need to stop the car as soon as possible, so I'm guessing that it doesn't disable the ignition....just want a confirmation.