Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

grinding noise when driving slow or stopping

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: grinding noise when driving slow or stopping

ORIGINAL: jenne

I test drove a 1996 deville last night and the brakes felt very soft on that car to me [even though their service records show they just had front + back brakes all redone in june of this year]. Also, it seemed the '96 had less get-up-and-go than my '90. It has perfect exterior/interior with 83k miles and they're asking $4950...which is a little above bluebook. It's just hard to think of driving another car after I've had mine so long
Was the Northstar an option on Deville in 96? If that car had a Northstar it should be a rocket. Sounds like one to avoid. Northstar equipped Devilles have better acceleartion times than a lot of muscle cars from the 60's.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Tech Certified Members

Having combination disc, drum brakes will always give you a better pedal feel over 4 wheel disc. I'll bet the 96 was 4 wheel disc.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:14 PM

I don't know about that 96, but mine has plenty of get up and go! And my brakes are excellent, did the job myself. The major difference for you will be the Northstar. When you have a good one, you have a good one. But if you have a problem, well you know what I mean. Im shocked at the 96 only having 83K miles on it. Definitely the reason for being over blue book. Even at 12K per year as an allowance its about 61K less than expected. Definitely worth another look see. The 94-96 is nice, even though I am more partial to the subtle yet noticeable changes for the 97-99 year models. Also, badly worn pads, even if they dont squeal or grind will give a cushy break feel. Let us know what you decide.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:18 PM

I think the Northstar was an option on the 95 model but became standard in 96. Could be wrong?

Old 09-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jenne

Hi,
I have a 1990 sedan deville with 211,000 miles on it. I just had new front brakes/brakelines/rotors and a new serpentine belt put on about 2 months ago.

In the last few weeks, I've noticed a grinding noise when I slow down at intersections, or when I'm driving slow through neighborhoods. Also, sometimes when I come to a complete stop, there is grinding, and then a CLUNK when I come to a complete stop.
I also notice the noise when I slow down to make turns.

Any idea what this might be?

Thanks!

ILLOGICAL !
IF they grind while driving, this makes little sense.

MY Advice, dont have any more work there.
The guy should have inspected and adviced on all the work needed.
There is nothing, NOTHING, more important on your car than the brakes.

so .. either ...

1. fraud is in the making,
2. incompetence is prevalent,

either case, I would go elsewhere ...

AND DO NOT TELL the next guy what the 1st guy recommended, what he did, nothing.

Simply take it in, tell them what the symptoms are and see what they say.