Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

ghost in the electric?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Default ghost in the electric?

So everytime i turn my headlamps on i seem to have some sort of short in my electrical. what happens is that with the lights on my 94 concours will decide on its own how fast to blink the left blinker. it only does this to the left side blinker, and the right side is unaffected. it can range from about two blinks a minute, up to the normal blinking speed. the wierd thing about this is that it works just fine with the headlamps off.
one other thing to note, i got pulled over last night and the cop said it was because my drivers side brake light and blinker didnt work... he said at least

Old 02-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: ghost in the electric?

sounds like that would be the first place i'd check for wire prob, connection prob, bulb prob, etc........
good luck, hope'n thats all the man got you for at the pull over.........
rickyd

Old 02-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Certified Members

about the only fast thing you can do is a visual, tracing the wires from start to finish and looking for damage or connector oxidation/damage.

after that, there no shortcuts here. it will then be time to take out the voltmeter and start testing.
just like rick said.

also, do use dielectric grease at all connections as you go to proof the connections for the future.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:45 PM

i saw the same thing on a sunfire, it was abad connector attached to the rear bulb for brake and turn signals. good luck though

Old 02-25-2008, 05:53 PM

Thanks guys, I'll give it a trace when i have a day off and post what i find.

And no ricky, they didnt find the stash i switched from my pocket to the center console in mid-park.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: cadillaczak

Thanks guys, I'll give it a trace when i have a day off and post what i find.

And no ricky, they didnt find the stash i switched from my pocket to the center console in mid-park.
COOL.... dang, you'd hate that to happen over a tail light![sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-26-2008, 01:22 AM
Tech Certified Members

Luck does have a way of rearing it,s ugly head on occasion.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:54 PM

Yeah, i was surprised cuz it was some super stank, and it was even an undercover that pulled me over. they were lookin for someone that had honked a horn, and weren't bothered by me so i slipped through the cracks[8D]

Old 02-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Certified Members

so whats going on with the lights?? did you find problem?
rickyd

Old 02-27-2008, 05:25 PM

I went to Schucks last night actually and replaced the top stop light with a new bulb. I havent had a chance to get out and look myself at the rear end, but some guy in the parking lot said my brake light still wasnt working on the left die, but was stuck on or something with the right side.
The blinker works now though, but is still kinda weird with the blinking rate. after i put it in it was blinking super spped. like twice the average rate. now its slowed down though, and the blinker light actually works.
i dunno whats up with the brake light though. tonight im gonna get someone to jump in the drivers seat and slam the brake while im checkin it out in the back. ill post what i find out tomorrow guys

Quick Reply: ghost in the electric?