Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

gas tank question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Default gas tank question

hi i have a 1994 concours and the fuel filler neck is rusted out, i wanted to know if the filler neck can be replaced seperately from the tank or does it require cutting and welding. The dealerships sell both the tank and the neck seperate which makes me think it may be a bolt one sort of thing. I know i have to get it fixed im tired of leaking a gallon of gas at every fillup, i may as well throw 3dollars on the ground and light it on fire. thanks for any help Chris

the tank cost $685 and the filler neck costs $365

Old 06-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: gas tank question

my advice?
call a salvage yard. the fuel tanks are selcom sold sicne there is next
to a zero market for them. they usually get crushed with car.

welding on a used gas tank?
wait until i get a few blocks away.

it is done, but read on ..

by unk
warning:
Gas vapors evolve from the metal and from the debris
despite any reasonable amount of cleaning. Even after my acid
treatment, after the tank sat for a day, my explosive gas meter showed
the atmosphere in the tank to be at the lower limit of explosive. Do
NOT get flame or sparks around the tank. When I was working on my tank
I inerted the atmosphere with argon from my TIG welder.

Shops which weld automobile gasoline tanks for example, usually steam clean the insides for more than an hour to ensure that no residual gasoline or oil are emitted from pores in the metal during heating. Even this is dangerous since there is no way to ensure that all of the volatile material has been driven from the pores. Additional precautions are taken by others such as blowing the exhaust from a vehicle into the tank being welded. This has the associated dangers of carbon monoxide asphyxiation and ignition and explosion of gasoline or other volatile organics which are contained in the exhaust. According to Part 57.4604, before welding, cutting, or applying heat with an open flame to pipelines or containers that have contained flammable or combustible liquids, flammable gases, or explosive solids, the pipelines or containers must be (a) Drained, ventilated, and thoroughly cleaned of any residue; (b) Vented to prevent pressure build-up during the application of heat; and (c)(1) Filled with an inert gas or water, where compatible (venting and other precautions are necessary such as, for example, complete purging of the air and maintaining a steady stream of nitrogen flowing freely into and out of the container with the flow rate large enough and outlet hose long enough and of small enough diameter to eliminate return of air through it); or (2) Determined to be free of flammable gases by a flammable gas detection device prior to and at frequent intervals during the application of heat.