Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

ding ding ding help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Default ding ding ding help!

Hello Im new here. Well i just picked up a 95 deville and Im having a few problems with it. My major concern is when the car is sitting at idle I get a display read out that says " stop engine oil pressure low " this happens alot more often when the car has been traviling at highway speeds. Is this a common problem or has anyone experianced this before? I think it may have somthing to do with the oil pump not creating enough suction to supply the engine at idle.

any info is greatly appreaciated, thanks in advance.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: ding ding ding help!

ORIGINAL: thickskins

Hello Im new here. Well i just picked up a 95 deville and Im having a few problems with it. My major concern is when the car is sitting at idle I get a display read out that says " stop engine oil pressure low " this happens alot more often when the car has been traviling at highway speeds. Is this a common problem or has anyone experianced this before? I think it may have somthing to do with the oil pump not creating enough suction to supply the engine at idle.

any info is greatly appreaciated, thanks in advance.
bang bang bang .... read ! [sm=proof.gif]

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_9792/tm.htm

when was the last oil & filter change?
what kind of oil in it?
during traveling at high speed?
after traveling at high speed?
mileage?
per the thread given, any other details ... ?

you better hope its a bad sensor and not the oil pump with an engine tear down. [sm=bling.gif]

Old 01-08-2008, 01:14 PM

never though to change the oil filter, how dumb of me?

oil is 10w-30
it only happens at idle
milage is 141k

hope its not the pump [sm=boosign.gif] but then again if it is, an engine tear down might be good new rings, fuel injectors, and bearings[sm=smiley21.gif]

Old 01-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: thickskins

never though to change the oil filter, how dumb of me?

oil is 10w-30
it only happens at idle
milage is 141k

hope its not the pump [sm=boosign.gif] but then again if it is, an engine tear down might be good new rings, fuel injectors, and bearings[sm=smiley21.gif]

I'll probably get killed for this one, but TRY 20w-50w.
also, probably too damn simple, what it the idle speed .. rpms ?

i didnt mean that kind of tear down. usually you drop the pan and there it is - the pump.
can anyone can verify that?

Old 01-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Certified Members

Check oil pressure with mechanical gauge when message comes on. If pressure at idle is over 7 psi and 30psi or more at 2000rpm, you should just need sensor. If readings are below either, bearing inspection is recommended. Remove oil pan to inspect main and rod bearing for wear and repair as necessary. Oil pan has to come off to replace oil pump. 20w-50 may not help.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:45 AM

As of right now she idles really high, Im not sure exactly the rpm because the car has no tach.

where would the best place be to attach the mechanical guage? I have one thatI built for a diesel about 2 years ago. I would like to test the psi at the most remote bearing but I dont think thats possible.

thank you guys for all the help.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Tech Certified Members

There is only 2 ways to attach it, where oil switch goes on oil filter housing or with adapter where oil filter goes. High idle may not be related to oil light. Check for codes.