Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Best problem free year for 4-5k

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Default Best problem free year for 4-5k

I am looking for the most reliable deville year for between 4-5k. I heard the northstar engines are nothing but trouble and I like the 91-93 year deville. How reliable are these engines, any recommendations would help. I once owned a 89 Brougham which I like to but looking for something smaller. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:21 PM
EZ
Default RE: Best problem free year for 4-5k

I have a 93 Sedan Deville that has 82,xxx on it, that i bought in nov. of '04. it has the 4.9L (non-northstar) engine in it and runs like a champ. the only work i've done to it was routine maintenence. i have had an intermentent electrical problem lately, but the more i think about it the more i think it is my fault it is happening. i just have to get the time and a day when its not raining to work on it. i changed the battery from the side terminals to top post terminals and some of the wires had to stretch to get there and i think i caused a situation where there is a bad ground. other than that i love my caddi. just take care of it and it will take care of you. i dont know about any other years but the caddi i have has the aluminum block and i know that they are very easily damaged if the engine overheats so you have to be careful of that. if i had the money i would buy another one without thinking twice.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:56 PM

Thanks, did the 91s have the aluminum block as well? Has it overheated on you at all as of yet? How many miles is the engine good for with routine maintenance? Thanks.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:34 PM
EZ

to be honest i dont know about the 91's. mine has over heated once or twice (mechanical problems) but i've been lucky no problems because of it. keep an eye on the oil level though, i dont know about others but mine has a tendancy to develope a slight knock if the oil level drops too low. i try to keep a good watch on it but every now and again it slips my mind until i hear that knock.

truth is, with any engine, so long as the routine work is done, you shouldnt have a problem. but if you beat on it all the time they will wear out quicker. i'm assuming that since its a cadillac GM started putting roller blocks into the cars by this point and roller engines dont tend to wear out as fast as flat tappet engines. thats not to say that the rings dont wear out or a rear main seal wont go bad but that happens with age. odds are your tranny will have major issues before your engine.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:45 PM

heads up i had a 92 deville. once one thing went it never quit. when i got rid of it the head gaskets needed done. it has whats called floating cylinders. it has an upper head gasketthen the cylinders then a lower gasket then the crankcase. at least thats what i was told by cadillac. if you replace one and not the other the ones you didnt replace will go. i think my car was wearing out but all in all after 170000 miles i think some trouble is to be expected.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:23 PM

ORIGINAL: SCresident

I am looking for the most reliable deville year for between 4-5k. I heard the northstar engines are nothing but trouble and I like the 91-93 year deville. How reliable are these engines, any recommendations would help. I once owned a 89 Brougham which I like to but looking for something smaller. Thanks.
Just bought a 99 Deville for about 5K. Drive the hell out of it and if the engine is blown you will know very fast. Use the A/C and put heater on high. Downshift at full throttle at 60 or so and let it come out around 90. Should run it for about a half hr after warming it up first at idle. Do both interstate speeds and follow up by start and stop. Keep info on engine temp. Up to 220 is ok
240 and above FORGET IT.
BIGHANK