Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Bad Gas Milegae

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Bad Gas Milegae

95 deville should be a 4.9l not a northstar, wot does not apply. "blowing out the carbon" wont hurt but don't over rev engine, keep it under 4500 rpm.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: slowroll

95 deville should be a 4.9l not a northstar, wot does not apply. "blowing out the carbon" wont hurt but don't over rev engine, keep it under 4500 rpm.
I dont know which one he has, but the northstar was an option on the 95. Became standardin 96. However, a '95 be it 4.9 or Northstar, both take 93 octane. That's why I asked what year the car was.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:14 PM

Northstar or not, an engine is made to work, and driving it at near idle speeds is not good for the longevity of the motor. Some of the longest lasting motors are ones that have been driven hard. I'm not suggesting abusing it, but if you want an engine to perform well, you have to allow it to do so. It helps reduce carbon buildup, and also allows all the components to work at their optimum, which is what an engine likes to do. It can keep you from getting clogged/dirty fuel injectors and all kinds of unwanted problems.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: musique

Northstar or not, an engine is made to work, and driving it at near idle speeds is not good for the longevity of the motor. Some of the longest lasting motors are ones that have been driven hard. I'm not suggesting abusing it, but if you want an engine to perform well, you have to allow it to do so. It helps reduce carbon buildup, and also allows all the components to work at their optimum, which is what an engine likes to do. It can keep you from getting clogged/dirty fuel injectors and all kinds of unwanted problems.
mine's not a northstar its just 4.9. the only time i step on the accelerator is if im in a hurry which is mostly in the mornings on my way to work. i clean my throttle body once in a while and i used to put those injector cleaners that u put in ur gas tank. imma try to get a full fuel and intake cleaning.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Certified Members

Have you check base timing? Do you know how to use the on-board diagnostics built in to car. There's more to it than just being able to get and clear codes.Are codes stored? Have you checked cat. conv. for being restricted? You stated TPS was replaced, how did you adjust / what is it set at?

Old 12-14-2008, 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: slowroll

Have you check base timing? Do you know how to use the on-board diagnostics built in to car. There's more to it than just being able to get and clear codes.Are codes stored? Have you checked cat. conv. for being restricted? You stated TPS was replaced, how did you adjust / what is it set at?
yea i know how to get to the obd but idk which one it would be to check the base timing. i had my cat. cut off cuz i didnt have money at that time so im running str8 pipe where the cat. should be. i didnt adjust the tps idk how if u do can u let me know and if u have a pic that would be even better thankz alot. i had some codes and they were all from the bad tps.