General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

bad gas

Old 06-20-2007, 02:11 PM
jim
Default bad gas

This is not about Stealth passing bad gas, (usually from eating cheap mexican food).But seriously, couple weeks ago, car was runnig great until I purchased gas, premium, as always. Then car was running rough, and stalled out a # of times. After dumping in 2 bottles of dry gas, problem solved.,Next week, filled up at different station, and still no problems. I always thought that condensation in stations tanks usually accurred in fall, or spring when the temp. drops below the dew point, but I guess that is not so. Last time I get gas at that station! (I even filled up a couple containers at the bad station, for my boat, now afraid to put it in, hate to waste it though. I figured since it was premium, that prob. not many others are using premium, due to $. and the tanks gas at that place was older gas. ? for any other reason. Just wanted to let others know , never rule out bad gas as a problem. Jim

Old 06-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: bad gas

also, there are two national problems that few think about.

- IF you buy corn additive fuel, it starts to gel in about 15 days and starts to clog things up.

- IF you buy gas right after or during the time when the tanker fills the ground tanks,
you could get sediment or moisture pumped into your car tank. The filling stirs up
whatever is in those ground tanks.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Jim,

if the problem is water, toss a bottle of alchool into it and use it on the mower.

methanol? talk to zinzin.
his methanol turned to corn syrup and he was not a happy camper,
he didnt even consider the pancakes for it.

back in my USAF days, we used to watch the flight line firemen set the sacrificial
B52 on fire with "old aged" fuel. i understand they used up about 5,000 gal at
one time. practice, practice.

the so called "old aged" jet fuel was nowhere as old as the car gasoline sitting in the
gas station tanks in town. rumor has it that some gas stations buy dated fuel cheap.
how the heck are we supposed to know? all i can tell you, the USAF wont even
consider using dated fuel.

note:
for the wise guys, yes i did use both jet fuel and car gasoline in the same par,
and the commonality ends there.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:41 PM
jim

I wonder if throwing in a couple bottles of alcohol into Stealth will cure him of bad gas as well, Was thinking along the lines of tequila, no?
Great idea of using it in the mower. I Put 2 bottles of dry gas into both containers(each was 5 gal).Would have been ashame to have wasted them. I'm sure it was water as the dry gas helped the fuel that got put into the cars tank.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

my friend, yo gotta better than that. tequila?
well, if that is all there is when the boat gets marooned, so be it.
better have some tacos to go along for the ride.

ORIGINAL: jim

I wonder if throwing in a couple bottles of alcohol into Stealth will cure him of bad gas as well, Was thinking along the lines of tequila, no?
Great idea of using it in the mower. I Put 2 bottles of dry gas into both containers(each was 5 gal).Would have been ashame to have wasted them. I'm sure it was water as the dry gas helped the fuel that got put into the cars tank.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:55 AM
jim

actually cold beer on ice seems to work well on the boat

Old 06-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

if you want to get zinzin over, better be Corona and carne asada tacos with fresh salsa
and a side of guacamole.

i can go for fish tacos too. same condiments as above.

hey zinzin, are you drooling yet?

Old 06-23-2007, 07:19 PM
jim

I wont forget the limes to go with the coronas!!!!

Old 06-25-2007, 09:53 PM

Although this would not effect you now it is true that up North where I live the seasonal mix needs to be changed. If you had a car in storage from the winter and you pulled it out in the summer you run the risk of vapor lock and poor running in general. In fact that was the problem with my 84 DeVille when I pulled it out for the Summer. It pinged and sputtered like an out of tune car. I put one bottle of gas line antifreez along with one bottle of fuel cleaner and then topped it off with ten gallons of premium and that did the trick. Too bad now the simple thing is over now I have a problem with the tranny. See my post on that.

Kyle

Old 06-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

i lived in Syracuse and Schenectady for a few years. i had a routine to add a few oz of alcohol to every tank
of gas to prevent problems when the temp dropped to below 20F.

the only cold weather problem i ever had was that the tires at 22psi in the summer got a lot lower in the winter and
one time my lady' blew the rubber off the rim upon entering a gas station driveway by hitting the edge of curb.
after that, i checked and reinflated tires every two months all year long.