Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

86 DeVille with coolant problems.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Default 86 DeVille with coolant problems.

I bought a 86 deville a couple weeks ago and before I even brought it home, I replaced the water pump because the bearings were making a lot of noise. Then a week after I started driving it, the pump decided to spray coolant all over my enginge bay. My mechanic found a loose hose and clamped it down but apparently that's not the only issue and he doesn't have time for another project. I was wondering if had any ideas on what to do or what it could be.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by xenocide248
I bought a 86 deville a couple weeks ago and before I even brought it home, I replaced the water pump because the bearings were making a lot of noise. Then a week after I started driving it, the pump decided to spray coolant all over my engine bay. My mechanic found a loose hose and clamped it down but apparently that's not the only issue and he doesn't have time for another project. I was wondering if had any ideas on what to do or what it could be.
w/o details ?

you replaced the pump and did NOT check all the hoses?

according to your mechanic, there are other issues?
lets hear them.

look at our FAQ section and issues related to coolant, overheating, gaskets, pump .. that sort of thing.

your '86 probably has a 4100 of the last generation so it should be just fine, assuming previous owners have done their min maint.