Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

Coolant System Problems on '92 Deville

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Default Coolant System Problems on '92 Deville

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Style Definitions table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:"; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} I recently purchased a ’92 Deville with the 4.9. The previous owner thought it had a blown head gasket due to excessive white smoke being emitted from the exhaust. He temporarily remedied the problem with Bars Leak. When I got the car, the heater core was not putting out heat, and I found there was no thermostat installed, so I flushed it, and installed new 195 degree thermostat. Well, now the white smoke problem is back, the coolant is pushing back and overflowing the overflow tank, and she is overheating. I checked compression, but neglected to open the throttle (oops, I hope I don’t have to do it again); lowest cylinder was 165 and highest was 200; one plug had oil on it, and other 7 were clean. Did I buy a faulty thermostat from Advance, or did my flush free up the Bars Leak that was plugging the leak? How can I properly diagnose this? I have to fix this car, and I will do the work myself. I can get an engine guaranteed not to smoke or drink for under $400. I have the time to work on it, but not the money. However, I would hate to replace the head gaskets only to find I have a cracked or warped head. Any suggestions on how I should proceed would be great.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Coolant System Problems on '92 Deville

ORIGINAL: Mark Scroggs

I recently purchased a ’92 Deville with the 4.9. The previous owner thought it had a blown head gasket due to excessive white smoke being emitted from the exhaust. He temporarily remedied the problem with Bars Leak.

When I got the car, the heater core was not putting out heat, and I found there was no thermostat installed, so I flushed it, and installed new 195 degree thermostat.

Well, now the white smoke problem is back, the coolant is pushing back and overflowing the overflow tank, and she is overheating.

I checked compression, but neglected to open the throttle (oops, I hope I don’t have to do it again); lowest cylinder was 165 and highest was 200; one plug had oil on it, and other 7 were clean. Did I buy a faulty thermostat from Advance, or did my flush free up the Bars Leak that was plugging the leak? How can I properly diagnose this?

I have to fix this car, and I will do the work myself. I can get an engine guaranteed not to smoke or drink for under $400. I have the time to work on it, but not the money. However, I would hate to replace the head gaskets only to find I have a cracked or warped head. Any suggestions on how I should proceed would be great.

there is a FAQ thread on this site with all that you need to get a handle on this headgasket problem .. replacing the gasket is probably what you need based on the info you provided and the job on a 4900 is not so difficult IF, and I say, IF you are good with the right tools. Cracked heads .. unheard off on on a Cadillac 4900.

Bars Gold Leak is NOT designed to cure failed headgaskets, it is designed to plug up the pores in the casting.
It may however, do what you said. Bars GOLD Leak (non-metallic) has some interesting properties .. again, there is a FAQ on THAT subject.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Default RE: Coolant System Problems on '92 Deville

Stomper,

I appreciate the quick feedback. I couldn't find the FAQ that you are referring to. Could you steer me in the right direction to the post?

Thank you!!!