Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

2000 Deville Missing/backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Default 2000 Deville Missing/backfiring

Hey Everybody, I just joined and this is my first post; hope someone can offer some insight on my problem.

I just purchased a 2000 Deville base model and am having some problems...I haven't even put 10 miles on the car yet. First, let me provide a bit of background info...

The car has 129k and appears to have been very well maintained; spotless inside and out. At the time of purchase the speedometer speed sensor was faulty and the 'add coolant' message was coming up. This car has pretty much sat in a garage for about the last year.

I was driving along at about 30mph when I heard a 'clunk' come from under the hood. The car immediately started running very rough - missing and even backfiring. There was also a dramatic loss of power. I made it to a mechanic and he ran diagnostics and inspected the car. All he could come up with (besides the speed sensor) was that there was a spark plug boot that had deteriorated and there was a faulty rear ignition control module (also referred to it as a rear coil pack). He said it needed a general tune up as well. I read about 'limp home' mode from this site:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2002/us100232.htm

Another feature of the Northstar engines is a "limp home" mode that allows the engine to continue running if all the coolant is lost. If the PCM senses an overheating condition, it temporarily disables up to half of the cylinders. This pumps enough air though the engine to keep temperatures from getting hot enough to cause any damage.

and was wondering if the low coolant may actually be the culprit instead of the ignition control module. This mechanic wants over $700 for diagnostics/parts/labor to make all the repairs plus new plugs, fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve etc. If possible, I'd love to get by without having to shell out that much cash. If I am stuck having to repair the coil pack/ control module, is this a difficult job? I'm a decent shade tree mechanic but I've never touched a Cadillac engine. I don't want to screw anything up worse. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Nathan
[/align]

Old 11-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Default RE: 2000 Deville Missing/backfiring

I managed to pull the following codes:

PCM
Current
-
P0300
P0443
P0502

Any guidance is appreciated...

Nathan

Old 11-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech Certified Members

Before any part is purchased, buy the factory service manual. Could save you most of that $700.00!

Old 11-19-2008, 03:51 PM

ORIGINAL: carnut

Before any part is purchased, buy the factory service manual. Could save you most of that $700.00!
Better than a haynes guide no doubt...

Old 11-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Certified Members

Haynes and Chilton have just enough info to get you in trouble. The factory manual assumes you have never worked on this year of car before and goes into much more simple detail.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: nathan_g

Hey Everybody, I just joined and this is my first post; hope someone can offer some insight on my problem.

I just purchased a 2000 Deville base model and am having some problems...I haven't even put 10 miles on the car yet. First, let me provide a bit of background info...

The car has 129k and appears to have been very well maintained; spotless inside and out. At the time of purchase the speedometer speed sensor was faulty and the 'add coolant' message was coming up. This car has pretty much sat in a garage for about the last year.

I was driving along at about 30mph when I heard a 'clunk' come from under the hood. The car immediately started running very rough - missing and even backfiring. There was also a dramatic loss of power. I made it to a mechanic and he ran diagnostics and inspected the car. All he could come up with (besides the speed sensor) was that there was a spark plug boot that had deteriorated and there was a faulty rear ignition control module (also referred to it as a rear coil pack). He said it needed a general tune up as well. I read about 'limp home' mode from this site:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2002/us100232.htm

Another feature of the Northstar engines is a "limp home" mode that allows the engine to continue running if all the coolant is lost. If the PCM senses an overheating condition, it temporarily disables up to half of the cylinders. This pumps enough air though the engine to keep temperatures from getting hot enough to cause any damage.

and was wondering if the low coolant may actually be the culprit instead of the ignition control module. This mechanic wants over $700 for diagnostics/parts/labor to make all the repairs plus new plugs, fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve etc. If possible, I'd love to get by without having to shell out that much cash. If I am stuck having to repair the coil pack/ control module, is this a difficult job? I'm a decent shade tree mechanic but I've never touched a Cadillac engine. I don't want to screw anything up worse. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Nathan
[/align]

This (highlighted) does not computer. I be putting my wallet back in my pocket.

Skip the Haynes, buy the FSM .. they sell for around $40 all the time.

Not enough info .. coolant? is it low? does it leak? noises? more clunks? etc .. ....

I dont have my codes to look them up .. go to the FAQ in this site and decipher those codes.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:40 PM

u can probably get by just with new plugs new wires and a new fuel filter. if ur engine still starts u dont need an ignition contro module.