Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

1997 sedan deville stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Default 1997 sedan deville stalling

Hey Folks:

My 1997 cadillac deville started to have problems with stalling. It stalled once last week while parked and it stalled again tonight. Except that tonight it stalled two times at the same intersection while stopped waiting for the light to go green. What could be causing this? I've own this car for a little over 2 months and it never had these stalling problems until just recently. We did however have to have the coolant tank replaced a couple weeks ago because it had cracked.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pcdoctor
Hey Folks:

My 1997 cadillac deville started to have problems with stalling. It stalled once last week while parked and it stalled again tonight. Except that tonight it stalled two times at the same intersection while stopped waiting for the light to go green. What could be causing this? I've own this car for a little over 2 months and it never had these stalling problems until just recently. We did however have to have the coolant tank replaced a couple weeks ago because it had cracked.
When I obtain a used vehicle, especially one that is 12 years old I budget to change a lot of things almost immediately. Air and fuel filters are two of those items for sure, not costly. I would almost always change the plugs and wires too along with oil, trans fluid and coolant. I would always recommend a compression check on a Cadillac with an aluminum engine too. For stalling here are a few items to look at:

1. Fuel filter and air filter
2. idle speed
3. plugs and wires and coil
4. vacuum leaks in intake manifold or vacuum lines.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:34 AM

pc doctor..I have this problem too. If you have the codes checked and it comes up as p037 it is a map sensor located under the intake manifold. I have noticed that there are a lot of people on here that are having the same problem. The part is only $30.00. There is a lot of advice to change out o2 sensors and I have yet to see people mentioning this sensor. My car doesn't read out codes for some reason so I was basically going through the steps to diagnose the problem. First I changed fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator and then some others things and after I pulled out the fuel tank and came to the conslusion the there wasn't possibly anything wrong with the fuel system, I went on to electrical and sensors. This part was not listed in the book and I had to take it up to a dealership just to find out what it was called. After I changed this one part my car drove perfect. No jumping, rough idle, stalling or anything. Now it is eleven months later and it has gone out again. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Nikki030505; 05-23-2009 at 12:01 PM.