Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

Problematic/lemon 2014 CTS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 09:01 AM
Default Problematic/lemon 2014 CTS?

Hi guys. To say I've had problems with my 2014 CTS AWD Premium is like saying Obama and Trump wont be exchanging Christmas cards this year!! HUGE understatement. I've put almost $4,000 in it in the last year. It was a certified car bought from dealers lot. In June, 8 weeks after the extended warranty ended, the front end went out. $1,300 for parts, $1,200 for labor. Maybe 2 weeks after this, the car started running terrible. The reduced engine power notice came on, service Stabilitrak, traction control off, park assist unavailable on, backup camera icons unavailable on, adaptive cruise unavailable, and the service engine soon light came on. We were 80 miles from home when this happened. By the time we got home, it was running much better, and only the check engine light was on. Drove to the dealer who did the front end, and they plugged in a plain old (not a tech II) scan tool. He said it showed fuel pressure regulator bad. I asked him not to clear the code, so he didn't, and when I left the dealer, the light went out!! No problems next 800-1,000 miles. This morning, same thing happened-AGAIN!! Other than that, it's as good as new!!! Anyway, since all these warnings had never come on before the new front end was installed, do you think it could be something the dealer did. Seems awful coincidental! What do you guys think? Thank you for any input......

Old 08-24-2020, 07:39 AM
Default Any

Originally Posted by grinder11
Hi guys. To say I've had problems with my 2014 CTS AWD Premium is like saying Obama and Trump wont be exchanging Christmas cards this year!! HUGE understatement. I've put almost $4,000 in it in the last year. It was a certified car bought from dealers lot. In June, 8 weeks after the extended warranty ended, the front end went out. $1,300 for parts, $1,200 for labor. Maybe 2 weeks after this, the car started running terrible. The reduced engine power notice came on, service Stabilitrak, traction control off, park assist unavailable on, backup camera icons unavailable on, adaptive cruise unavailable, and the service engine soon light came on. We were 80 miles from home when this happened. By the time we got home, it was running much better, and only the check engine light was on. Drove to the dealer who did the front end, and they plugged in a plain old (not a tech II) scan tool. He said it showed fuel pressure regulator bad. I asked him not to clear the code, so he didn't, and when I left the dealer, the light went out!! No problems next 800-1,000 miles. This morning, same thing happened-AGAIN!! Other than that, it's as good as new!!! Anyway, since all these warnings had never come on before the new front end was installed, do you think it could be something the dealer did. Seems awful coincidental! What do you guys think? Thank you for any input......
Has nobody else had these problems? While I wouldn't wish this on anyone else, if you have had these issues, please post up if you found a solution that wont break the bank!

Old 08-24-2020, 07:53 AM
Default Any

Has nobody else had these problems? While I wouldn't wish this on anyone else, if you have had these issues, please post up if you found a solution that wont break the bank!

Old 08-25-2020, 07:12 AM

Sad that replies here are like honest politicians, few and far between.......

Old 08-25-2020, 11:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Honestly I'm not sure what you are looking for. It sounds like you've had some intermittent issues, and the dealer offered a solution. This is common, especially with how complex the electrical systems are on these newer Cadillacs. Often at the dealers, we have to work with history codes and come and go problems like this without seeing it happen. It's difficult work to say the least. As far as your other warning lights that came on - those should have stored history codes as well to point to the problem. It may even be just one thing, that is tied into a lot of different systems.

I don't like the sound of them plugging in a basic code reader, because that isn't going to tell you anything about the other systems. But if they aren't willing to do more for you than that then I would find another shop. I can't possibly link your previous repairs with warning lights without details and the fault codes that were set, but I would doubt it that there is a connection there.

Best bet is to take it to a new dealer and pay for a full diagnostic on the issues you are having. Sooner after the problem occurs the better so they can see the history.