Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

Im stumped! Wont Charge

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Default Im stumped! Wont Charge

So here's the problem...
About a week ago I was driving down the highway when the abs and traction control light came on. I checked the volt meter on the DIC and it was reading below 10 volts. i continued to watch it all the way home. It jumped from 9.8 to 12.5 volts the whole time and i figured it was probably the alternator. I took my battery in first and had it tested at O'reilly and they said it was good. So I took off my alternator myself and took it in and had it tested. They tested it and said it was bad so i bought a new one and installed it. after starting the car and driving for a while, i noticed the problem still remained so i replaced the battery just in case it really wasn't bad. That didn't solve anything either...
So I've replaced the alternator and the battery and im still having problems holding charge. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? I think it might be that they gave me a bad alternator but im not sure.
Thanks

Old 08-27-2008, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Im stumped! Wont Charge

ORIGINAL: Timmy003

So here's the problem...
About a week ago I was driving down the highway when the abs and traction control light came on. I checked the volt meter on the DIC and it was reading below 10 volts. i continued to watch it all the way home. It jumped from 9.8 to 12.5 volts the whole time and i figured it was probably the alternator. I took my battery in first and had it tested at O'reilly and they said it was good. So I took off my alternator myself and took it in and had it tested. They tested it and said it was bad so i bought a new one and installed it. after starting the car and driving for a while, i noticed the problem still remained so i replaced the battery just in case it really wasn't bad. That didn't solve anything either...
So I've replaced the alternator and the battery and im still having problems holding charge. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? I think it might be that they gave me a bad alternator but im not sure.
Thanks
Well, I dont know what you got, car model / year.
But, my 1st guess is that the "fixing" took place on the wrong things.

I place my bets on bad GROUNDS or something like what I posted in the following thread.

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_24914/tm.htm

Old 08-27-2008, 10:28 AM

Its a 2003 CTS

Old 08-27-2008, 10:32 AM

If it is a wiring or grounding problem, where do I check for bad wiring? Is there a diagram?