Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

2011 CTS Sedan and Coupe engine stall issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Default 2011 CTS Sedan and Coupe engine stall issue

Recently, I test drove a 2011 CTS Sedan and liked it, but while travelling down a long grade (at about 40 MPH) and braking while turning right at the light, the engine stalled. I wrestled the stiff steering and stiff brakes while attempting to avoid sideswipping the queued up line of traffic on the left of me. I brought it to a stop and put it in park and it started right up. I told the service rep at the dealership about it and he said he would have it looked at and I thought nothing more of it.

Four days ago I turned in my 2008 STS off lease. I picked up my brand new 2011 CTS Coupe! You will never guess what happened. While going down the long hill from my house(again at about 40 MPH) and braking while entering a curve to the left, the engine stalled! I quickly pushed it into neutral and turned the ignition and I instantly got power steering and brake function return.

I returned home and picked up my wife to run errands. While again going down the hill I started telling her about what had happened. As I was saying,"and right about here the engine stalled", it happened AGAIN! I again pushed it into neutral and hit the ignition and it started right up. By now this was becoming a disturbing pattern.

Since then I have gone thru that curve exactly the same way eight times (without my coffee cup in hand) and nothing has happened.

Today, on day four of ownership, on a different road, but again a long downhill windy stretch, going about 40 MPH and entering a right hand curve while braking for the stop light, it cut out on me AGAIN.

So that makes once with a CTS Sedan, and three times with my CTS Coupe!

I have an appointment with the dealer, that I made today.

I am a 50 year old male that thankfully kept my wits about me. If this had been another operator the outcome could have been different.

If anyone else out there has had this experience, please let me know what fixed it.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:11 AM

rvolosky, if you run into any problems with the vehicle or with the dealership you can reach out to me here on the forum for any assistance you might need. Hope to hear an update on your vehicle soon.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Old 11-03-2010, 03:28 PM

Well, I am happy to report that it hasn't happened at all in the roughly 6 weeks and 1200 miles since my last writing.

I will update if it should happen again.

Bob V.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Default 2011 CTS sedan, vibration at acceleration

Hi,
I just leased a brand new 2011 CTS sedan with premiun package.
I noticed every time I hit the gas pedal there is little vibration that embraces also the steering wheel and the shiftstick.
The vibration is stronger if the A/C is on.

Can you advice me if this is a known problem, if there is a fix?

thx

Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 AM

obedv, have you spoken with your dealership about the issue you are describing yet? They would be the ones to have all the do***entation on known issues with these vehicles and would be able to determine the correct course of action based on your symptoms. I hope that helps and if they are unable to resolve your issues feel free to contact me back.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Old 04-27-2011, 10:09 AM

Hi Jeff,
Thank you for your prompty response.
I went indeed to the dealer and the service guy noticed the vibration, but according to him everything is electronically controled by software and there is nothing they can do.
If there were a software update or revision, they would get a TSB (technical service bolletin) with the patch.
I drove today the 3.6L and I also found vibration while the A/C was on , stronger on the low RPMs.
So, not sure whether its common on these CTS series.

thx

Old 04-29-2011, 08:15 AM

If I get any do***entation on a vibration for the vehicle then I will try to update you as soon as possible.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

Old 04-29-2011, 08:42 AM

NEVER PAY FOR AUTO REPAIRS AGAIN!!
AMERICAN WARRANTY CLUB
-PAYMENTS AS LOW AS $69 PER MONTH
- NO DEDUCTIBLE
-NO DOWN PAYMENT
-NO CREDIT CHECK
-BUMPER TO BUMPER REPAIR COVERAGE!!
-ANY YEAR
-ANY MILEAGE
-3 YEAR 100,000 MILE COVERAGE!!
SEND EMAIL TO JAMES AT iamjd45@yahoo.com FOR MORE INFO

Old 04-29-2011, 02:03 PM

Thx you Jeff

Old 01-17-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by rvolosky
Well, I am happy to report that it hasn't happened at all in the roughly 6 weeks and 1200 miles since my last writing.

I will update if it should happen again.

Bob V.
I have a new 2011 CTS with just 1700 miles on it. Yesterday, I was driving 60 mph on a highway, and the engine cut out completely. Luckily, I was in the right lane and able to maneuver over to the shoulder. I tried to restart the car, and nothing happened -- no sound. I tried again, and the car started right up and drove fine. The dealer has the car now, but hasn't found anything wrong yet. Does anyone know why this would happen or know anyone else it has happened to?

Quick Reply: 2011 CTS Sedan and Coupe engine stall issue