Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

2010 cts ticking after timing chain replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 08:43 AM
Default 2010 cts ticking after timing chain replacement

I have a 2010 cts that was throwing a code that is usually Camshaft or Crankshaft so my husband replaced those still with no luck.. Replaced a few other things still nothing.. He said after all of that the main thing left that it might be is my timing chain.. So he replaced the timing chain and everything that goes along with it. Before he did this my car was running fine.. We just couldn't get that code to go away so this was kinda a last option.. When he was almost done he had me watch videos that walk you through step by step on how to set the timing and had me watch him as he did it just to see that the timing was set right.. All said and done my car does start right up with no issue but now there is a loud squeal which is probably just a belt but there is also a ticking sound coming from my motor. I haven't driven it much at all since but I start it and let it run because its been so cold here.. The first few days it wasn't bad.. My husband said it wasn't a ticking noise that it would go away but today I drove it up to the store and its a full blown motor tick. I've read a million forums with no answers. I checked my oil and its fine.. I let the car warm up and it didn't go away at all. Could the timing be off and the car still run? My husband worked his *** off on my car so I feel horrible this is happening and I'm hoping I can get some answers on what it might be? Any help at all would be appreciated!!

Old 02-08-2022, 11:52 PM

Jessieegt1003, do you have the direct injection model? A ticking sound is normal for the direct injection engines. If not try topping off your oil. I know that has helped others.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Loading...
Jessieegt1003, do you have the direct injection model? A ticking sound is normal for the direct injection engines. If not try topping off your oil. I know that has helped others.

Yes it's the direct injection model.. changed the oil last night and after running for about 5 min the car jumped time.. only thing left I can do is send it to a shop and hope to hell I can afford it! I love my car it's been good to me other then this..I don't want to give up on it so I'm really hoping the shop can fix it