Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

2008 cts rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 06:05 PM
Default 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI rought idle

Originally Posted by Cadillac Customer Service
Hi brahef and BRIPINCH44,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing a rough idle while stopped and I can understand how this would be concerning. I understand that you are looking for some feedback from the forum, but have either of you spoken with a dealership regarding this concern? If you are interested in discussing your options with a dealership, please feel free to PM me.

Enjoy your day,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI rought idle
Has anyone gotten a good answer to this question? I also have a very rough idle at a stand still. I've had the sparkplugs and valve cover gaskets along with the upper intake gaskets changed. I've also had the EVAP purge solenoid valve as well as the O2 sensor, I matain regular oil changes and maintenance but cant figure out why the idle is rough. I even had the motor mounts looked at thinking that may be the issue but still no luck. Someone please help!

Old 04-28-2018, 06:07 PM

Has anyone gotten a good answer to this question? I also have a very rough idle at a stand still. I've had the sparkplugs and valve cover gaskets along with the upper intake gaskets changed. I've also had the EVAP purge solenoid valve as well as the O2 sensor, I matain regular oil changes and maintenance but cant figure out why the idle is rough. I even had the motor mounts looked at thinking that may be the issue but still no luck. Someone please help!

Old 04-30-2018, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by sethc1020
I have an 08 also with direct inject and experience the same issue. When Im at a stop of its just idling I hear some vibration coming from the back. Thought my tail pipe might be loose and had the dealership check it at my last oil change and they said it was secure. Been wanting to take it back in to see whats going on. If you find out let us know and Ill do the same.

did u ever get a resolution to the issue? I'm having the same problem

Old 08-02-2018, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Bailey
Had the same problem . You're going to think I'm crazy until you do this...! I changed all my ignition coils and spark plugs then cleaned my throttle body. No fix! I remembered an old mechanic's advice about an old Ford Ranger I owned 20 years ago and I drove my CTS for roughly 5 miles in 2nd gear at 4,000 RPMs. My borother-in-law is a mechanic and said it was an epiphany moment. It fixed all the rough idle and vibration issues I was having! Try this before doing all the parts swaps! Let me know if this helps you. If you're not sure, call me at (252)764-1781. I'll be glad to talk to you about it .
What!?!? How!?!?

Old 02-22-2020, 09:00 AM
Default Update :(

I have had several people call me now, and I have come to one conclusion... There is nothing we can do to fix this problem. I suspect it's a VVT (Variable Valve Timing) issue. VVT is controlled by the computer and I feel like the timing is slightly retarded at idle causing the motor to idle rough and retarded again causing slight laboring at certain non-accelerating speeds. 45-50 for mine.

If you search the internet, you'll find there are several years & models of Cadillac with this problem and they all have this motor, direct injection and VVT in common.
I have resigned to just live with the shake because my wife loves our car. Good luck to you and yours!
BUT... PLEASE if anyone ever diagnoses and fixes this issue, contact me @ 252-764-1781 Eric
Originally Posted by Eric Bailey
Had the same problem . You're going to think I'm crazy until you do this...! I changed all my ignition coils and spark plugs then cleaned my throttle body. No fix! I remembered an old mechanic's advice about an old Ford Ranger I owned 20 years ago and I drove my CTS for roughly 5 miles in 2nd gear at 4,000 RPMs. My borother-in-law is a mechanic and said it was an epiphany moment. It fixed all the rough idle and vibration issues I was having! Try this before doing all the parts swaps! Let me know if this helps you. If you're not sure, call me at (252)764-1781. I'll be glad to talk to you about it .

Old 02-22-2020, 09:05 AM
Default Update :(

Originally Posted by smalone360
What!?!? How!?!?
Very sorry. I should have updated this sooner. It seemed to straighten out my issue temporarily but went right back to rough idle very quickly.