Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

03 CTS - Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Default 03 CTS - Check Engine Light

Hi guys,

I got the old check engine light on my 03 CTS. The best part is that it came on just a couple of weeks before I needed to pass an emissions test. Even better, my wifes uncle was borrowing the car while his was in the shop and I didn't find out about the light untill a week before the required test.

So now my registration has expired and I need to pass the emissions test before I can renew my registration.

I got the codes checked at an auto parts store and of course it is a small emissions leak.

I have replaced the gas cap hoping that it would be an easy fix, but the light is still on.

I haven't put many miles on the car since I replaced the gas cap because I am trying to avoid an expired registration ticket.

I have started and stoped the car more than a few times just running here and there.

If you are still with me so far, Thank You for your patience.

So here are a few questions:

1. How often does the car recheck the emissions system?
Every X miles, Every X number of starts, Every X tank fulls?

2. If the gas cap is not the problem, where should I look next?
Have any of you sucessfully tracked down any emissions leaks?

3. Should I try to run the car untill the light goes off, or should I go back to the auto parts store to clear the light and see if it comes on again?
Which would require fewer miles driven? (again, avoiding the ticket)

I would really appreciate any info you guys can give me... I'm driving an 01 Kia Sportage with no AC or Power steering until I can legally get my baby back on the road.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Tech Certified Members

Small Evap leaks can be almost impossible to locate. The leak doesn't have to be very large to set a code. The system checks for leaks every time you turn the key on, and periodically after that. I don't have the specs in front of me, tho.
If the gas cap didn't solve the leak(and they usually do), then you may need to take the vehicle to a shop that has a smoke machine, or an evap specific tester.
hth

Old 08-11-2010, 09:11 PM

you can however reset the light
it usual takes a little while to come on again