Fuel Pump Problems Solved

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:26 AM
Exclamation Fuel Pump Problems Solved

The orginal fuel pump on my 92 died a slow death. After leaving me stranded twice it was time for a new one. It wasn't as hard as you might think to drop the tank and put in the new pump. The second pump was much louder than the first, which was a tip off that something wasn't right. (Really was a bad pump, so says the parts store) So after several "no go"s I replaced it with a third. This time I did a thorough examination of the wiring and concluded that the fuel pump ground looked shakey so I spliced in another ground wire to the top of the tank. Good idea except the tank isn't grounded. Fixed that by adding a ground wire from the tank to the frame. Still had an itermittant problem which finally led to the connection coming off the fuel pump(plugs into the harness). The pins were at fault so I then proceeded to splice around the fuel pump hot wire (since the ground side was already done). It's now 4+ months since any problem. Moral of this story: Changing the fuel maybe necessary; pay particular attention the connector and perform a little maintenance on the pins or you may get to do it again and again. (By the way, if you have any questions or want some tips on how-to just send me a private message.)

Old 01-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default GM Cadillac Allante fuel pump failures

Originally Posted by steveocombs
The orginal fuel pump on my 92 died a slow death. After leaving me stranded twice it was time for a new one. It wasn't as hard as you might think to drop the tank and put in the new pump. The second pump was much louder than the first, which was a tip off that something wasn't right. (Really was a bad pump, so says the parts store) So after several "no go"s I replaced it with a third. This time I did a thorough examination of the wiring and concluded that the fuel pump ground looked shakey so I spliced in another ground wire to the top of the tank. Good idea except the tank isn't grounded. Fixed that by adding a ground wire from the tank to the frame. Still had an itermittant problem which finally led to the connection coming off the fuel pump(plugs into the harness). The pins were at fault so I then proceeded to splice around the fuel pump hot wire (since the ground side was already done). It's now 4+ months since any problem. Moral of this story: Changing the fuel maybe necessary; pay particular attention the connector and perform a little maintenance on the pins or you may get to do it again and again. (By the way, if you have any questions or want some tips on how-to just send me a private message.)

did the connector have anything to do with the failure of the 2nd pump?

its been awhile since i replaced fuel pumps and like you, went through that twice. in my case, the 2nd pump failed in about 2 months.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:10 AM
Default Fuel pump dialog

I don't thinks as a good fuel pump has that whirrrrr sound whereas the bad fuel pump had a grrrrrrrrr sound and was much louder. I did find it interesting that one of the most critical parts had no back-up plan. Additionally,the hot wire to the fuel pump got thinner as it got closer to the fuel tank (seems like 18ga at the relay and 22ga at the last connector). But the connector itself has removable parts and the book even shows how to re-bend the tabs for a better connection. Cadillac could have done a lot better in this case. Just remember, if you don't hear a whirrrrr coming from the back end when you turn the key on, you're not going anywhere in that Allante.