Brake Problems - four wheel disc brakes 1983 1984 Cadillac Eldorado

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Brake Problems - four wheel disc brakes 1983 1984 Cadillac Eldorado

Carnut's post will apply to all GM 4 wheel disc. exept vette. From the mid seventies on, where parking prake cable attaches to rear caliper. Parking brake on cars with early "clock hand" calipers type need regular use, to keep rear brake pads adjusted. Vette always has had parking brakes shoes under rear rotor. GM "new platform" cars and trucks have moved to the parking shoe under the rotor as they appeared after 2000.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:09 PM

Thanks Guys!!! for the input. I feel like an old fool, but I now know for sure I have Disks Brakes X 4, as my son helped me remove front & rear wheels to check.

I tested holding down the parking brake & foot brake, then putting into gear and slowly letting off of brake pedal. The Parking Brake would not and did not hold the car in place. (Not even close).

I will dig into the rear calipers and notify you of results.

This really helps.

Now I have to post a new question, as the windshield wipers and washers will not go off. My wife is so happy with this car, I may need to find a new place to sleep.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:23 PM

OK, status report. rebuilt calipers have been installed on the rear, flushed and adjusted. Some improvement. The parking brake will now hold the car when in gear. That is the good news.

Bad news, still a lot of pedal travel and my wife now says the pedal is very hard to push and she now prefers to use my hand control rather than the foot brake. I had my 29 year old son drive & test the brakes, he confirmed the brakes are very hard to puch and understands why mom & wife are complaining.

I would guess the next step is to look at the Vacuum Booster. If you agree with this are there any after market kits available that can give this item extra Boost???

Old 03-19-2008, 02:40 PM

I have changed out the Power Booster. This did not make much if any improvement other than causing the brakes to lock up after driving the car about 5 to 7 miles. I added one washer between the Power Boost and Master Cylinder and that appears to fixed that.

I am posting this and also apologizing to all of you, as I had asked about the brakes when I was talking or being helped with the cruise control. So, I am posting this info to bring everyone up to speed. This is what I posted on the Cruise Control Thread.

Reporting in. It appears I have the Power Boost and the Locking up problems resolved. 1. The power boost was purchased from NAPA and the rod on back side of the unit was not adjustable. I ended up purchasing 2 washers from local hardware store, approx. thickness 56 thousands, and placing them between the Booster and Master Cylinder. Have driven over 50 miles and no problems. The brake travel and pressure on the brake pedal is about the same, perhaps 5% less.

I have taken the car back to the local garage, who did the initial work on the brakes and asked them if the rear calipers were adjusted with the parking brake cable disconnected and he said yes!!! He also inspected all 4 rotors and pulled pads from passenger side front and rear, they are not GM Pads, but NAPA pads purchased last year. They looked very good.

It was suggested I consider and install a "Residual Pressure Valve" on each line. I have done a little research and have a general idea of their concept or how they should work. What are your thoughts??

It looks like I have pretty well rebuilt the brake system including the "Combination Valve" The car will stop, but it still has a long pedal travel and my wife continues to complain the pedal is too hard to push. At the begining she was not complaining about how hard it was to push. I use "hand Control" for the Break and have the handle set-up so that I get an extreme amount of force on the brake, i.e. the rod on my hand control is very close to the pivot point, which give me a lot of extra power.

My wife can use the hand control, but it is not natural to her, where I have been using a hand brake for over 40 years. I need to make her happy with the foot brake.

Again, I thank all of you for sharing your time and experience.

Not sure where to go next other than the "Residual Pressure Valve" again I am not sold on that, it just suggested.

Equalizer

Again, I really appreciate your input.

Equalizer

Old 03-25-2008, 07:06 PM

wow. this thread is smoking hot. Keep it coming equalizer. The guys are giving us great info about brake problems. Never had one but this will help me.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Default Eldorado Brake Problems...

Hello!

Unfortunately, I've got an 1984 Cadillac Eldorado with 29K that has similar issues...

I had the car inspected by my local Cadillac dealer, and they confirmed that only the front brakes appeared to be working, while the rear calipers are seized, and the vacuum pump that helps provide pressure to the system was apparently not working either...So, my vehicle stops only with the front brakes. This is a bit scary, so I am in search for a vacuum pump and the normal rear caliper set up to correct my issues.

I will let you know if this program helps the brake issue.

Thanks!

Travis

Old 02-21-2012, 02:53 PM

If you can't find new(rebuilt) rear calipers, you might be able to repair your old ones yourself, or have them repaired. Remove the calipers, remove the pistons with compressed air (be careful, do some research online first to learn how to do this without hurting yourself), hone the bores and clean up the outside of the pistons, and put back together with a Brake Caliper Repair Kit like this: 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Brake Caliper Repair Kit

Old 08-01-2012, 12:19 AM

HI dear i want to ask one question about brakes i have a '95 mustang AMD i am always having brake problems. I know for sure it isnt me because i always come to a slow soft stop. always! But the brakes are always squeeking. Not always but when i come to a stop.????

Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 AM

Most modern cars have disc brakes on the front wheels, and some have disc brakes on all four wheels. This is the part of the brake system that does the actual work of stopping the car.
The most common type of disc brake on modern cars is thesingle-piston floating caliper. In this article, we will learn all about this type of disc brake design.

Thanks,
Japanese used car auction

Old 09-05-2012, 02:09 AM

If you are a cadillac enthusiast and want information about this subject you could get access to this forum. Plus you could post your questions and suggestions at this platform.

Quick Reply: Brake Problems - four wheel disc brakes 1983 1984 Cadillac Eldorado