Brake Problems - four wheel disc brakes 1983 1984 Cadillac Eldorado

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Default Brake Problems - four wheel disc brakes 1983 1984 Cadillac Eldorado

I own a 1983 Eldorado with 4.1L V-8, with 27,500+ miles.

I have spent more money than I care to admit having a local shop work in the brake system.

The biggest complaint (from the Mrs.) is the brake pedal travel too far and it is too hard to stop.

More back ground. I am in a wheelchair and I use a hand brake, so it is a little difficult to evaluate the same way as my wife, however, I do agree the car will not stop on a "dime".

To date I have installed the following, with little if any difference.

1. Rebuilt brake booster with master cylinder
2. New Front Brake Pads
3. New Rear Brake Shoes.
4. Rear Drum Kit
5. New brake hoses.
6. Self Adjuster repair kit.
He has some sort of a timed pressure tester and pressure stays up, i.e. no leaks.

The young man who has done the work is extremely nice and seems to know what he is doing, however, I would guess he has gone to this forum or one like it for input.
Not sure where to go from this point. I have considered installing after market disks on the rear, and if I was to do that? 1. Do I have to do both front and rear with after market disks? 2. Am I wasting my money and should look at something else to improve the brakes?

Thank you,

Equalizer in Big Sky

===================

Mod edit
title

Old 02-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Brake Problems

How well does parking brake work? Does it go to floor or halfway?

Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 PM

Thank you for your interest and input.

The parking brake is good!!! Just goes half way.

I am told I either have all drum or all disk, so, I must have all "Drum".

I can pick up a set of used Disk Brakes for $300.00. Supposed to be complete set-up including method of attaching brake calipers to axel. Am I crazy?

Thank you,

Old 02-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Tech Certified Members

Most 83 Eldo's had 4 wheel disc from factory, none of them would stop on a dime. I was at OLDs dealer at time car was built. Toro's at the dealer I worked at rarely had 4 wheel disc due to reliability issues. Check to be sure master cylinder is for rear drum. Combination valve could also be the cause. I know you have not had car long. Disc / Drum cars are very common. One last question: Does power assist seem like it working or is requiring more effort than it should?

Old 02-11-2008, 07:24 PM

I purchased the car 2 years ago on ebay. Thought I was getting a "Cherry". Wrong. Kept car in storage for a year and now trying to resolve all the problems. I got had and I should have known better. Shame on me.

The power assist seems to work somewhat, but my wife is not happy with the excessive brake pedal travel and slow stop time. She is a powerful ranch lady, so I do not hear about hard to push, she just feels they are not safe.

When we had more $ we owned a '98 Eldo and it stipped on a dime, now I can not afford that am trying to work with this '83. I need the big 2 door account of wheelchair. When I use my hand controls I can stop the car, but never get real close or up on someone elses bumper, i.e. I leave plenty of room to stop.

Everyone tells me to get rid of this 4.1L and find another 2 door with a different engine. Where do you stop or when do you say enough is enough.

Thank you for your input.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have all service records from first owner and the brake problems/issues go back to 13,000 miles and 1992, when they were complaining about the same. Records show new shoes at 13,000 & clean drums. Then again at 21,000 2001, same problem.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Certified Members

From what you posted front brakes aren't working correctly. Combination valve can effect front brake operation, there is a valve within it which is designed to delay front brakes till rears have a chance to apply. If it's not working correctly front brake wont apply as they should. I would replace it before throwing in the towel.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:48 PM

Thank you. I will check that out next and will let you know.

I appreciate this forum, as I have learned and continue to learn. Sometimes even an old dog can learn.

Equalizer

Old 02-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Tech Certified Members

I own an 84. This car has in fact, four wheel disc brakes. To verify the rear calipers are functioning normally, depress the parking brake with left foot and hold depressed, apply brake pedal with right foot. Then put car in gear. Release foot slowly from brake pedal, the car should remain still. If, with all your pressure on the park brake, the car creeps forward, rear brakes are NOT working. That would account for low pedal the wife's complaining about. The rear brakes adjust for normal pad wear by religious use of the parking brake every time the car is parked. As the park brake is pushed, it will rotatethe caliperpiston, ratcheting out to make up wear clearance. On a car this old, usually from lack of use, the rear caliper adjusters seize and require two rebuilt calipers be installed. At the inboard side of the caliper, the parking brake cables attach to an arm. As the arm rotates forward with park brake application the piston rotates within the caliper. If its seized it will not allow the piston to stay out taking up the clearance. SO, verify, verify and then replace rear calipers, flush the brake fluid and adjust the park brake by the factory manual.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Brake Problems - four wheel disc brakes 1983 1984 Cadillac Eldorado

ORIGINAL: equalizer

Thank you. I will check that out next and will let you know.

I appreciate this forum, as I have learned and continue to learn. Sometimes even an old dog can learn.

Equalizer
keep at it, provide the details as you go through diagnosis and the guys will surely help you get your car working as it should. Dont give up.
Some of us also learn from what others have to endure.

This is a good thread & i'm tagging it FAQ ...

Old 02-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Brake Problems - four wheel disc brakes 1983 1984 Cadillac Eldorado

Most people do not know the importance of the parking brake and never use it. Not only keeps rears adjusted but keeps car from "rocking" which isn't great for the tranny.

G.A.R.Y.

Quick Reply: Brake Problems - four wheel disc brakes 1983 1984 Cadillac Eldorado