Info on the 472 ?

Old 11-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Default Info on the 472 ?

Anyone have any info to share? I would like to just perform some basic maintenance to start, but I can't even find capacities.

TIA

Old 11-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Info on the 472 ?

Oil change 5 qts with filter. Firing order 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3. # 1 is on right head.Cooling missing year and model, however 2 gallons of coolant plus water will most likely be required be required.Tune up need year. coil dwell 28-30. More info given, more info that can be gotten.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the info so far.

1973 Cadillac DeVille

I would like tranny capacities as well (Auto)

My plan of attack:
-New Battery
-Replace all fluids
-oil
-Tranny
-Coolant
-Differential
-Brake
-Power steering
Replace all filters
- oil with change
-Tranny (how many are there, 1 replacable? 1 cleanable??
-Air... anyone know the dimension off hand? (I can measure myself, but the car is stored over an hour away).
-Fuel (is there only 1?)

-Replace spark plugs and wires (I would like info on putting an HEI on this, I hear the points are a poblem on this motor)

Background info:
This was my grandfather;s car. He bought it new. It has 63k original miles on it and has always been stored inside. The last time it was registered was 1996. There might be a few years that gramps registered it but never drove it as well. I put a used battery in that I had lying around and put some jumpers on it and it fired up in under 5 seconds, which I was a bit surprised considering the fuel (1/4 tank) was so old.
Gramps was a mechanic by trade so the car is in GREAT shape. He also has a ton of spare parts which he bought to keep on hand, belts, plugs, oil filters, thermostats, cap and rotors, etc. I don't know if I will use any of them, basically gramps always kept the car in good shape. Before he stopped driving it he had the transmission rebuilt at 59k miles. He also had new shocks put on. He didn't do this work because of his age, adn the place he took it to was known for ripping people off. I remember him telling me that the transmission seal wasn't done properly, but when I checked the tranny fluid it's level was fine. If it wasn't done right, wouldn't you think it would have leaked out in 12+ years? The shocks that were put on were also done wrong, they put a shock for a much smaller vehicle on there. That is the least of my worries, until later on, but just a little background.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Tech Certified Members

Transmission should be thm 400. Trans filter is not re-usable nor is gasket.When changing fluid when trans is hot you need put 4 quarts then start engine and check fluild level, and add fluid til full may take 1 to 2 more quarts. DO NOT OVERFILL .Changing fluid when transmission is cold, you will need more fluid and to retorque bolts when trans is hot. It is very easy to split new gasket especially if is cork if you over tighten pan bolts. Also car has to be level to check fluid level.Air cleaner should have AC# on decal on it.Fuel filter is in carb behind/within 1" fitting fuel line attaches to it's replacable paper element.There is a nylon gasket on filter housing you need to change when replacing filter. The filter housing has very fine treads very easy to "cross tread" - screw it in by hand til it appears to be all the way in and snug it with wrench. If you cross thread carb you will have fuel leak and may need to replace carb to repair it. I strongly suggest to get factory manual. Points are ok just require more attension, there are dealers on the net that can hook you up with HEI. An HEI distributor from a 425 will mostly will work - ok.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:31 PM

Good info! Thanks
When I change the fluid in the transmission should I disconnect a return line and let the pump evacuate the remaining fluid or just do the pan?

I plan on going to all Amsoil products, for I use them on all my other vehicles and have had very good luck.

BTW.. REALLY Good info on the HEI from the 425, I have been trying to find out if ANY HEI would work or a certain one, I see a lot for the 350 (SB).

Do you know if there are any clearance issues with the HEI on this motor/vehicle? I have read that certain models have issues with the pulleys.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Tech Certified Members

Just the pan. As far as HEI don't know. It's about 2" larger in diameter than point type.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:19 AM
Tech Certified Members

I have the HEI junkin my '76 500 Coupe de ville, so I am assuming it will work in your set of wheels without a hitch.