2002 Deville Trans Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 04:42 PM

Since the extended service contract will pay for repairs at the dealer, I went and had them check the car out. The end result: the transmission is OK, just the TCC is bad. The warranty does not cover (and it says it in plain view) anything electric, including solenoids. It cost me $90 to do the diagnosis, and it would cost $1800 to replace the $50 part ($1710 more than I have).

Should a transmission shop - like AAMCO - look at it? I don't want to waste more time if they will say the same thing (TCC Solenoid is bad). AAMCO is relatively close, and there are a few shops that do transmission rebuilds, but AAMCO is the only shop that specializes in transmissions.

TS

Old 12-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Tech Certified Members

What code(s) TCC concerns can be more than solenoid, price your getting indicates more than solenoid. Trans doesn't need completely disassembled to replace solenoid(s). Solenoids are behind side cover. Being the Christmas season you may find a experienced trans tech in need of some side money who could hook you up. Extended warranties are black n white in what they cover if it is internally lubricated parts only thats not good. If it covers torque converter, internal seals, valve body, and or clutches you may have a claim. Call warranty company have them explain it and consumer protection if you not satisfied with what they tell you. It would be as Adams Apple said you would carry some but not all of the costs. warranty would pay most if not all the labor

Last edited by slowroll; 12-02-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:25 AM
Tech Certified Members

Arrrgh! The solenoid is bad BECAUSE of the faulty seals. The PCM keeps the solenoid full ON trying to control the converter slip, due to the seals not sealing properly. The solenoid eventually MELTS from the heat of being full ON all the time. Replacing the solenoid, no matter WHO pays for it will NOT correct the actual problem. It's treating the symptom, but not addressing the ailment.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:02 AM

Understood... would a transmission shop - like AAMCO - be able to look into that more?

I am seriously considering cancelling this service contract, since it's obviously not worth it. The exact definition of what they will do in the transmission is everything mechanical. They will only replace seals and gaskets if it is in the process of repairing the part. The Torque Converter is covered, the TCC Solenoid is not (the case is also not covered unless the covered part damages it). The only "plus" to this contract is that they cover the A/C, cooling, internal engine, as well as electrical inside the car (including window regulators).

TS

Old 12-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Tech Certified Members

you want to keep warranty, the non powertrain can break a budget also.You just need a shop who will work with you. Unfortunately trans would have to be partially disassembled to find out what is wrong.