1993 cadillac deville transmission slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 05:37 PM
Default 1993 cadillac deville transmission slipping

156 people have viewed my question and not a single person has offered any advice. This site is a joke...so much for the cadillac experts!

Hello,

My mother passed away a year ago and I kept her 1993 Cadillac Deville Touring Package, unfortunately I let it sit for awhile and the battery died ans wouldn't hold a charge. I ended up replacing the alternator, battery, serpentine belt and was able to get it running again.

Although it was running and driveable, there is black smoke coming out the exhaust pipe and it gets about 2 miles per gallon. I put some injector cleaner in the gas tank and then drove it off and on for several days to see if the cleaner would help, it didn't do anything.

My main question pertains to this: The next day I was backing out the driveway and when I put it in drive, the transmission started slipping. I was able to get in back in the driveway but now the transmission will not engage in any gears, reverse or drive. The car has 87,843 miles on it and was well maintained.

I checked the transmission fluid, it was just a little low so I fill it back to the correct level. That didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas of what’s going on? Do you think this is a transmission problem or a electrical relay problem? I don't know where to begin trying to fix this problem.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks!!

Last edited by HOLDING-ON; 02-23-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Tech Certified Members

Sorry for your loss, and sorry for the lack of responses. I personally just don't have the time to check in every day on every forum I am a member of, so I miss a lot of stuff sometimes. Perhaps those that have viewed this thread haven't had any input to give. Would you rather have 100 responses with 100 different solutions, or nothing at all?
As far as the black smoke, the car is running rich. Could be due to a fuel injector(s) problem, sensor issues, or PCM problems. You need to see what CODES the PCM is giving, to help diagnose the problem.
As far as the trans not engaging forward OR reverse, you said you added fluid, since it was low, but didn't say HOW low it was, or what condition the fluid was in. Was it extremely low, or just a little low? Was the fluid dark/black and smelly, or red, as it should be normally?
Running any trans low on fluid will cause damage to the clutches inside. How much damage depends on how low it is, and how long it has been run low. Chances are, the trans has been run low long enough to both burn clutches/bands, and clog the filter(s) up with clutch material.
If this is the case, the only solution is to remove the trans and rebuild.
hth

Old 03-02-2014, 03:22 PM

In terms of the transmission, this might be an alternative: Jasper Rebuilt Transmission. With the engine running super-rich (guzzling gasoline), the best thing is to go inch by inch. Check the air filter. If that's clean, or you replace it, check the intake for debris. If it's clear, remove the intake (a couple screws) and look at the Idle Speed Control. That is what opens the throttle body when the engine gets warm. Also check the plate, you should be able to open that part with your finger. If it doesn't move, it should be cleaned (any cleaner at auto parts stores work).

TS