Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

recall 2010 Cadillac SRX crossovers equipped with turbocharged 2.8-liter

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:53 AM
Default recall 2010 Cadillac SRX crossovers equipped with turbocharged 2.8-liter

Seems like the world got caought in this auto recalling, due to numoerous problems.We didn't heard that 10, 20 yrs ago.The 2010 SRX was recalled due to engine failure.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:01 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by swenrac
Seems like the world got caught in this auto recalling, due to numerous problems. We didn't heard that 10, 20 yrs ago.
The 2010 SRX was recalled due to engine failure.
Why disappointment? This is an operator error based recall that affects less than 600 cars when driver uses WRONG FUEL.

In May 2005, General Motors recalled 2010 Cadillac SRX crossovers that are equipped with the turbocharged 2.8-liter V6 engine due to the possibility of engine failure. The problem stems from the misuse (OPERATOR ERROR) of gasoline with lower than the required 91 octane rating. If driven aggressively with non-premium fuel, pre-ignition may be induced.

Such cases of pre-ignition can be very serious, with broken pistons or connecting rods standing out as possible results ... this possible problem was discovered by Automobiles De Luxe after mistakenly filling the Cadillac with 88 octane fuel instead of the required 91 octane.

Owners of the 547 affected vehicles are being directed to get their Engine Control Modules reprogrammed free of charge at their dealer.

It is unk if the reprogram only intervenes when a pre-ingition is detected or detunes the engine whether ping is detected or not. If the engine is fine when proper 91+ octane fuel is used, I would not allow my car to be reprogrammed, I would simply use proper fuel - but that is my own opinion!

Last edited by stomper; 05-31-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Certified Members

The average "Joe/Joanie" doesn't understand the concept of using the proper fuel...they only understand $3+ per gal. at the pump for Premium fuel...
De-tuning the engine isn't the answer, it's a band-aid to keep GM from having to warranty engines, or having to deny warranty due to incorrect fuel usage. Proving improper fuel usage might be a bit tricky. I can pay for, and pump the high dollar stuff, but who's to say the cheats at the station didn't fill ALL their tanks with the 87 octane?
When fuel was getting over $5 a gallon for diesel here, I was buying fuel at the cheapest place I could for my Mercedes. Turns out the fuel was cheaper there because they were putting WATER in the underground tanks on purpose...

This is NOT Gm's flaw....it's the consumer's disregard for the fuel recommendation, and possibly some gas station's greed....

Old 06-01-2010, 02:46 AM

then, I got it all wrong.thanks for making ot clear for me