Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

GM Cadillac Northstar engine features & issues, coolant system protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 03:32 PM

So, I have changed coolant today. Tomorrow I will drive 1000 km by my STS, so I will check is everything Ok.
Thanks for help with my problem.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:30 PM

I drove 900 km and I don't see any problems, but temperature is a little bit hotter than 12 o'clock, but only in a heavy traffic jam

Old 09-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Kucharz
So, I have changed coolant today. Tomorrow I will drive 1000 km by my STS, so I will check is everything Ok.
Thanks for help with my problem.

what did you use ?

Old 09-06-2009, 08:38 AM

I didn't use GM coolant. My mechanic used concentrated glicol coolant mixed with destilated water 50/50.
Is it good for a Northstar??

Old 09-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kucharz
I didn't use GM coolant. My mechanic used concentrated glycol coolant mixed with distilled water 50/50.
Is it good for a Northstar??

that doesnt tell us a complete story.
the coolant you use in the aluminum engine must do several jobs.
the use of distilled water is good, glycol is good, does it have metal protection ?

from my archives .. read carefully and evaluate what you have.

===================================

the coolant system, next to the brake system (which also needs flushing), is one of the most neglected systems in modern cars.

Yet, over 50% of all engine failure is due to a problem in the cooling system. This vital system is typically the most neglected, least understood component of the modern engine. Regular coolant testing and routine maintenance can achieve maximum system efficiency and identify potential problems before they become catastrophic failures. In most aluminum engines the metal protection is depleted and should be replenished every 2 years. In a new engine, the coolant should be good for 5 years, and every 2 years after that.

it's about identifying problems within the cooling system that can be detrimental to engine performance or lead to premature engine failure. A proper coolant system analysis can detect:

* Metal corrosion
* Combustion gas leaks
* Contamination
* Electrical ground problems
* Chemical breakdown

A cooling system is subject to pitting, corrosion, cavitation, gasket deterioration,erosion and electrolysis. Although coolants are formulated to help prevent these problems from occurring, coolant analysis will identify them if present and determine if the coolant you're using is providing adequate protection. It will also identify:

* Rust, which can accelerate wear, reduce heat transfer efficiency and eventually clog the system
* Scale and deposit formations that can act as insulators, which form barriers for proper heat transfer
* Oxidation which can lead to rust

coolant maintenance levels must ensure proper engine metal protection, glycol levels for freeze and boil point control, nitrite for prime metal pitting protection and acidity for adequate corrosion protection.

possible sources of problems detected in testing levels I and II, such as combustion gas leaks, air contamination, electrical ground problems, localized over-heating, chemical breakdown or other contamination sources inside or outside the system.

proper maintenance should include inspection to include:

* Visual inspection for color, oil, fuel, magnetic precipitate, non-magnetic precipitate, & odor.
* pH
* Glycol
* Freeze Point
* Boil Point
* Nitrites
* Dissolved Solids
* Specific Conductance
* Foam

Last edited by Stealth; 09-06-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

for those that are technically inclined, this is some darn good reading on ENGINE COOLANT, but let me warn you, it is long, technical, and scientific.

at the min, read the first 3 pages, then start again at page 14 ..

http://books.google.com/books?id=kSH...ection&f=false

whatever your conclusion is, keep this in mind:

Over 50% of all engine failure is due to a problem in the cooling system.

This vital system is typically the most neglected, least understood component of the modern engine.

GM wont tell you that, and neither will Ford, Toyota, Honda, BMW, MB, Porsche, Chrysler, etc., etc...

Last edited by Stealth; 09-06-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:28 PM

Stealth, I know everything what You wrote. I am not a technical ignorant.

Of course I used coolant with metal protection.

Before Cadillac, I had 2 pcs of BMW, so I know how important is to care about coolant system.

Thank You for help and many informations.

PS. I didn't answer earlier becasue I was looking my thread in STS part

Old 09-11-2009, 11:01 PM

Hot-running cars also create a domino effect of problems, from detonation or pinging to overheating and exploding radiator hoses.This is the particular case of many Seville.So check your cooling system.

Cadillac SRX

Old 09-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Certified Members

one more comment ?

on the cars that have it, running the engine in camel mode should never ever be used for anything other than to pull off the highway, a mile or two .. period. It is not meant to drive the car another 50 miles home.

get a tow truck .. the cost of the tow or the AAA membership is minuscule compared to the permanent effects of a prolonged overheating.

Last edited by stomper; 09-22-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:28 AM

After 2000 km still everything seems to be OK.

Quick Reply: GM Cadillac Northstar engine features & issues, coolant system protection